Growing !

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chittyn, Oct 27, 2011.

1. chittyn

chittyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    The chicks are 6 weeks old now ! I am currently feeding them on crubs and grit but will change to grower soon. When can i move them outside they appear fully feathered now ? Also how can i tell hen from roster ??

Thanks for all the help still much apreciated

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Well first off Isnt it amazing how fast the little devils grow up. Depending on the type of chickens you have they seem to try and crow at different ages. Try and post pictures and there is a lot more qualified folks than me here but I could not even venture to guess without pictures. Good luck to you

3. chittyn

Aug 27, 2011
    they are rhode island reds

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You can take them out now. They are feathered. They'll be just fine. While winter is coming, in the Northern hemisphere, it isn't winter yet. I like to use these cool falls days and nights to prepare them. The cool weather now causes them to feather faster and fuller. When winter does come, in another month, they'll be HUGE and all covered well with a nice down coat.

5. SteveBaz

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Stocky legs more than the hens crop is growing faster on a male than female. The size of the bird should be a bit larger.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The RIR is little harder to sex than some birds. At 12 weeks, the pullets will still not have much by way of combs and wattles, where the roosters will sprout theirs earlier. Also, the male will eventually sport longer, stringier feathers at the lower back, just before the tail, what are called saddle feathers. A male will eventually grow a long arching tail feathers, while a hen will have shorter, round tipped tail feathers. Also, the crowing will start with the roos. The rooster also has thicker legs and adopts a different, more of a long-legged strut to his walk. His stance is more upright. He stands taller this way, because his job is to keep his head up, looking for intruders, hawks, etc. His instincts instruct him to stand this way and his body matches.

Hope that helps.

7. chittyn

Aug 27, 2011
    thanks for lots of useful tips [​IMG]

8. Dylan6

Dylan6 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2011
    Illinois
    Do chicks need any way to roost?

9. SteveBaz

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:Sure its one way they sleep and relax.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Dylan6

Dylan6 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2011
    Illinois
    But do baby chicks need a roost?