1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

growling and hanging out at the back door

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by madelinetosh, Sep 18, 2007.

1. madelinetosh

madelinetosh New Egg

Sep 11, 2007
    Texas
    today my wyandotte hen has been hanging around the back door talking and growling and making noises which is unusual for her as she is very quiet.

i was wondering if she is going broody.

when i bought her the owner said she was laying and was right at about 6 months old. since i have brought her home i have had no eggs and i was assuming that it might be the stress of moving to a new home.

any answers?

2. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    I read your post because I was interested too. I don't have any answers, but I'll bet someone is going to ask how long you've had her in order to give a better answer of whether it's stress of moving, so that might save you some time on the reply.

A lot of mine are growling sometimes too. No idea why right now ... [​IMG]

Oops, edited to add: I was going to also say, welcome to the board! [​IMG]

trish

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

You say she is "hanging around the back door" Is she a house chicken?? If so, was she before you got her??? Maybe...just a stretch here because I dont know all the details....if she was NOT a house chicken, and she is now....thats stressfull enough to make her not lay...even just going to a new home....will make her stop laying for a week or so. Does she have a nest box with a fake egg in it? Maybe she doesnt know where to lay?? Just a stretch here...I really dont know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by