growling chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beeksnfeet, Oct 16, 2013.

1. beeksnfeet

beeksnfeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    IL/WI border
    I was wondering if anyone knows at what age a chichen will start to go broody? We have 3 buff orps and 2 white plymouth rocks. All were born April 1, 2013 making them 6 1/2 months old. I know for sure 3 are laying and that started late August. Both of the rocks are, as their eggs are darker brown and bigger then the buffs. The smallest (but bossiest) of the buffs, Agnes is also laying. The biggest buff (Margo) might be, and the middle one (Edith) still doesn't have much of a comb or waddles......I have seen the first 3 in the nesting boxes at different times. The other two go in the coop & look inside the nesting boxes but that's it. They usually lay 2 per day. Once we had three and on the other days there is always at least one. Tuesday was the first day with no eggs. We are in northern Illinois so I know it is because of the season and light change.

When Agnes lays an egg the 2 rocks will go in the coop and jump in the same box that she just left. Sometime one will lay an egg and the other times they just take turns sitting on it, then leave. Yesterday Agnes was in the nesting box nearly all afternoon. When I went to check her she growled at me. Yes growled.....like a dog. The rocks always kind of chase me when I gather the eggs or nip at my shoes. After she left the box I took the egg and all is well, so far. Do you think she is getting broody? Or just territorial? She is a loud, bossy little thing, not at all what you would expect. Any thoughts?:/

2. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    She may just not like to be bothered while in the nesting boxes. I have a few hens that will take your hand off and squawk at me if I try to check for eggs while they are still in the boxes. I would think if she is broody she would not come off the nest even if she is making a ruckus, but every hen is different, plus she would tend to puff up when being messed with.

3. beeksnfeet

beeksnfeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    IL/WI border

Thanks for the reply. I never bother the girls if they are in the nesting boxes, that's why I thought it kinda strange that she would growl at me since I didn't open the box, just the outside door to the coop. And no puffing up yet. Getting ready to clean the coop now. Thanks again.:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by