growling;puffing up; not walking,eating, or drinking; diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by oliviad51, May 11, 2011.

1. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Monday night, I went to close the chicken coops and saw a hen laying in front of it. I scooted her towards the door and she stood up, took a step or two and sat back down. I separated her and gave her food, water and oyster shell and she didn't eat or drink any of it. She did have very runny and white diarrhea and when I came near her, she did a growling noise and kind of puffed up like a broody.

This morning (Wednesday) I found her dead. It's just weird because it happened so sudden and fast. If anyone has had a similar experience, please post :) thanks!

2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    That is weird. Maybe it's a coincidence that she got broody at the same time she got sick? I don't know.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It sounded like a broody to me too. Very strange. No telling what happened to her. Sorry for your loss.

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Cocci. Yes, adults get it and they don't always have bloody poop. It's the most underdiagnosed and treated ailment in poulty IMO.

5. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Cocci. Yes, adults get it and they don't always have bloody poop. It's the most underdiagnosed and treated ailment in poulty IMO

I think it was cocci...She had the EXACT symptoms that I read on it right before she died. Does it usually happen quick? She was only sick for about 2 days before she died.
    Thanks for your help everyone:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by