1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Growling Roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stubbornhill, Jul 21, 2011.

1. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    My roo and his girls are 16 weeks old. The last two days, I have caught him "growling" for lack of better description. He crows and it is definately not that. He has been crowing from quite some time, but is just figuring out what his job is. I think these are growls of frustration as he tries to round up his ladies who appear to have no time for him. Poor guy! Around me he is fine. He has kind of sort of challenged my husband a couple of times. Hasn't flogged or anything like that. But he has done this side step thing towards him and got all squaky on night when my husband was picking up one of the pullets. Am I right? Is this poor guy just frustrated or is this a sign of aggression to come?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You never know with roosters. Good ones can go bad and bad ones can sweeten up. One of my hens makes a growling noise when the treats have been all eaten up. She will carry on and growl for a minute afterwards, expressing her frustration that I am not packing any more snacks!

Whether or not your rooster will get get more aggressive you won't know until time passes. Good luck!

3. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Thanks twocrowsranch. I guess time will tell!

4. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    One of my roosters growls at me all of the time. He crows all of the time too. He has never shown any agression. I just think he is very vocal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by