Growling Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ihavechicks, Nov 28, 2010.

1. ihavechicks

ihavechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Cypress Inn, TN
    I have a rooster who is terrorizing the barn yard. He is the first one into the chicken coop at night & I swear I heard him growl last night. He was patrolling the floor and every time a chicken would try to go into the coop he would growl and chase them out. Is he really growling? I can't get my chickens in the coop & it is in the 30's at night so I want them inside. They want to stay in the run, which is covered, but I don't think it is good for them. Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    Yes, roosters can make a "growling" noise, as can hens. You've got a problem with that rooster not allowing any other birds to come into the house at night. Your chickens need to be inside their house at night, even if they do have a covered run.

I think I would remove the rooster to his own private crate for a couple of days.....let him cool off, then try him back with the flock.

Is he the only roo??

3. ihavechicks

ihavechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Cypress Inn, TN
    No he is not the only roo. We have way too many & are trying to get rid of all but one.

4. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:Then I would start by making him the first to go.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, they growl as a warning. (and a look out ladies) I was closing up my coop after dark the first time my rooster growled. It scared the crud outta me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by