Growling Rooster

ihavechicks

Songster
9 Years
Jul 13, 2010
Cypress Inn, TN
I have a rooster who is terrorizing the barn yard. He is the first one into the chicken coop at night & I swear I heard him growl last night. He was patrolling the floor and every time a chicken would try to go into the coop he would growl and chase them out. Is he really growling? I can't get my chickens in the coop & it is in the 30's at night so I want them inside. They want to stay in the run, which is covered, but I don't think it is good for them. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Yes, roosters can make a "growling" noise, as can hens. You've got a problem with that rooster not allowing any other birds to come into the house at night. Your chickens need to be inside their house at night, even if they do have a covered run.

I think I would remove the rooster to his own private crate for a couple of days.....let him cool off, then try him back with the flock.

Is he the only roo??

Yes, they growl as a warning. (and a look out ladies) I was closing up my coop after dark the first time my rooster growled. It scared the crud outta me!

Back
Top Bottom