1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Grown Corn Fer Feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Billy Bob Neck, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Billy Bob Neck

Billy Bob Neck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2008
    Billy Bob Neck here... Hope all ya'lls been do'n good out there. I started grown my corn and I's wondering if I could grind my corn up after it gets hard and feed my chickens.

Thanks, BBN

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

You don't even have to grind it. I go out after we're done cutting corn and gather the ears of corn the combine missed and throw those out to them during the winter months. They peck it off the ears themselves.

3. Billy Bob Neck

Apr 6, 2008
    I have a 1/4 an acre of corn and I wanna dry it out and save just fer them in the winter months. I dont really wanna feed them raw corn.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

What I gather is dry corn.....I guess it could be considered raw since it's not cooked, but it's what a person would buy in the feed store.....just still on the cob and doesn't cost me anything.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Leave it on the stalk and let it dry in the feild. Gather the ears and keep them dry. They will eat it on the cob. Less work for you. They will also adore fresh corn juicey with corn milk in the summer.

P.S. where are you that you have a 1/4 acre of fresh corn this time of the year?

6. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    yes you can feed dry corn to chickens without grinding it.just pick your corn.an store it in a corn cribb or bin .leaving it on the cobb.then get whatever amount of cobbs you want.an feed your hens.they eat the corn off the cobbs.

7. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    It at least needs to be cracked for chickens (and pigs) to get the most out of it. However, for chickens, ground into a meal is even better.

With that said, corn is too low in protein to be a complete ration for a chicken. It's great for carbohydrates (energy) and putting on fat (which is yellow like the corn).

8. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    just to clarify, we are talking about field corn not sweet corn right? or could you do either

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Mine only get a little as a treat in the late afternoon when it's cold out in the winter and pretty much never the rest of the year.

10. Billy Bob Neck

Apr 6, 2008
    ams3651, I have both. Is one better then te other?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by