Grown male Pekin Duck won't leave my 6 week old female duck alone.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Shellyanne, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Shellyanne

Shellyanne New Egg

Jul 21, 2013
    Tifton, Georgia
    My female Pekin duck abandoned her nest and after a few days we started cleaning out her nest and found three eggs that were trying to hatch. We had to help the ducklings out of their shell as the shell had hardened. So we have hand raised the three and they are like my babies. They are now 6 weeks old and I believe 2 are males and one is definitely female. Last night our grown male duck attacked the baby female and tried to mate her and she was screaming I ran outside and had to shove him off of her. I have the little ones in our fenced in front yard and the grown ones in the back where they free range but the little female had gotten out. Is this normal for a male to do, does he not realize she is still a baby? This has been very upsetting as he keeps trying to get in. What else should I do?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I would keep them separated until the young ducks reach their adult size. Its relatively normal for male chickens and ducks to be ungentlemanly around younger birds. They obviously don't realize that a six-week old bird won't be laying any fertilized eggs, so their efforts are useless. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  3. Shellyanne

Shellyanne New Egg

Jul 21, 2013
    Tifton, Georgia
    Thank you for replying. I just couldn't stand her being hurt. I figured that like my cows the females would give a scent or something like that to show they were ready for breeding. It looks like i'll be sectioning off my yard as I have more duck eggs in an incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by