grown-up chicks won't leave Mom alone

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by champer, Jul 1, 2011.

1. champer

champer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    San Martin, CA
    I have 2 chicks, now 3 months old, that were raised by a broody hen. She clearly felt they were old enough to be on their own a few weeks ago, though the chicks continued to sleep in a nest box with her at night. Now the hen has gone broody again and the chicks are in the nest box with her during the day every time I go out to check for eggs. Is this normal, should I be intervening or just let them work this out for themselves. Advice, thoughts would be much appreciated.

2. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    I would seperate the mamma since she is broody again. The other ones will go out on their own when mom is gone! (I think, I have not raised chicks like that, but I know with dogs it is true!)

3. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Seems to me she is an overindulgent momma. A good thing for a hen. Not so good in Mammals

4. champer

Jun 13, 2011
    San Martin, CA
    She is overindulgent. She is a little banty and her chicks are a full size RIR and full size EE. The chicks are nearly as big as she and they stand on her back or try to get under her, it's really kind of funny. I don't really have any way to separate her, but I can scoot the chicks out every time I see them in there.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I reccomend separating chicks from broody hen for a couple days. Will break bond, then release chicks and they should not get into nest with her. My last experience with chick staying with hen as she brooded second batch is that when latter hatched, elder chicks very gently attacked and nearly killed some of their younger siblings. Hen did nothing to stop. This business of elder chicks staying with broody hen enabled by so little effort chicks need to invest in feeding because we set feed out in feeders.

6. champer

Jun 13, 2011
    San Martin, CA
    Thanks for the advice. Giving this more thought, I can put hen in a cat carrier up above the nest boxes. Perhaps that will be enough to discourage the chicks. I'll give it a try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by