Growth/Abscess?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LavenderCrow, Sep 22, 2015.

1. LavenderCrow

LavenderCrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2014
    Tennessee
    My EE hen has a growth/abscess on her face. It started off small, barely noticeable, but now it's gotten quite big. Her eye has some clear discharge now as well. It's hard to the touch. Should I try to drain it?

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you post a picture of it?

-Kathy

3. LavenderCrow

Oct 1, 2014
    Tennessee
    Darn iPod didn't post them. :( Here's a couple pictures. It's gotten pretty nasty the past couple days.

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    There might be pus in there. If there is pus, you might to lance it and remove the pus. Warning, it will bleed a lot, so might be a good idea to have a styptic powder on hand. Here is a link that shows how to do it:
    http://connerhills.com/sinus_infection_removal.html

Check for pus in her choanal slit:
    Photo by BYC's Nambroth.
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

Edited to add: Not saying that you need to do this, just that it might be what's needed.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  5. LavenderCrow

Oct 1, 2014
    Tennessee
    Checked, it's a bit swollen and looks like there's some clear stringy drainage (mucus?) I couldn't get a picture, it's too dark now. I think I might attempt to lance it tomorrow evening after the fiance comes home to help. Definitely not a one man job.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Good luck and let us know how she does.

-Kathy

7. LavenderCrow

Oct 1, 2014
    Tennessee
    Unfortunately she isn't being very cooperative and I'm not a very steady hand (or stomach) for this kind of thing. I read a from a few other posts on here that taking Q-Tips and swabbing any protrusions on the inside of the eye should break up the "plug" and pus should come out with some pressure. I've bothered her enough tonight so I might try that tomorrow. Thoughts?

8. LeafBlade12345

LeafBlade12345 Chillin' With My Peeps

How did things go?

9. LavenderCrow

Oct 1, 2014
    Tennessee
    Unfortunately I couldn't get her to hold still, and it's too close to her eye for me to really want to risk it. She seems to be doing fine without intervention, she eats and drinks and squabbles with the other birds like normal and no one picks at it. I don't like leaving it there, but I just can't see taking a chicken to the vet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by