Growth near eye...!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by huntsman, Jan 9, 2011.

1. huntsman

huntsman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    South Africa
    For a week or more this growth has been attacking my bantie - [​IMG]

Does anyone have any idea on how to eradicate this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Much obliged!

2. Chickenkate17

Chickenkate17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    California
    I don't know....sorry!!

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    It looks like it could be an infected sinus. One of my chickens had something similar looking. My vet had to put her under, lance it, clean it out, then stitch it back up - followed with a course of antibiotics. She's fine now, by the way.

4. Zoey

Zoey Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2009
    Big Island, Hawaii
    I agree, she has a respiratory infection, usually the first symptom is a swollen eye, or looking like someone spit in her eye, i also see Mucous coming from her nose ...

I usually treat with Tylan injectable, once a day for 7 days. You can go under the skin at the back of the neck, or into the breast muscle at an angle , not straight in, not deep either , just into the muscle, or you can alternate (AVOID hitting the crop, go on the opposite side !) .. I usually use 1/2 cc for a full sized chicken 7 pounds or so, you would use less for a bantam. ( there are some guidelines on the web)

LS 50 works well in the water for respiratory infections, use one ot the other , not both.. follow package directions, and be sure this is the only water she can get into during the treatment time .. there will be an egg withholding time , maybe 2 weeks after treatment ..

It may have to be drained.. if unsure seek an avian vet , but flushing the eye with warm saline, and warm compress on the area, with the antibiotic , may clear it up...

5. huntsman

huntsman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    South Africa
    Thanks for the replies -

I'll try to find LS50: She'll be sharing the medicated water with the other birds...Is it fine for them to share with her?

(Bit scared to use the needle, but I will if necessary..)[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  6. WizChick

WizChick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2009
    Oregon City, OR
    If you treat the entire flock you won't be able to eat any of their eggs for about 2 weeks. If you can find a dog crate to put her in for a short time and treat only her you would be much happier.

7. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    If you go with the Tylan 50 injectable, the dose is .27cc per lb of chicken weight and you'll want to do this at least for 3 days.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  8. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Have you checked to make sure she doesn't have something the got in the eye? It can happen and the body will encapsulate it to end irritation and I would imagine it would grow and grow.

9. Zoey

Zoey Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2009
    Big Island, Hawaii
  10. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Here are a couple of pictures of my hen, Morgan, and her infected sinus. Looks similar to yours. The problem is, once the infection gets in there it gets thick. Not sure i would have been able to get it out myself. On the Tylan, you can get water soluble, although it seems to be much more expensive than the injectable. If i'm not mistaken (and someone correct me if i'm wrong) you can give the Tylan injectable orally. i'm not good with shots either. Do you have a chicken or avian vet nearby?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by