Growth on 3 day old chick's naval HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by littlehenny, May 20, 2010.

1. littlehenny

littlehenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    When the chick hatched it was healthy and eating and drinking and fiesting around, but today it has become lethargic and has a thick yellow goo coming from its vent. The growth was on the chick when it was hatched. It didn't seem to bother the chick. I thought maybe it would just eventually fall off. Any advice would be helpful.

2. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    My guess would be that the "growth" is actually the yolk sac which wasn't fully absorbed. It usually goes away in a couple of days, though. Can you post a picture of the little one?

3. littlehenny

Jun 10, 2009
    I checked the chick and the yellow stuff is not coming out the vent, but it is coming out the naval. It has a real bad odor also. I washed the area with warm water and the growth fell off! But the yellow stuff is still coming out, but I don't think as bad as before. I have the chick back in the brooder away from the other chicks, I put a divider in the brooder so the chick can be alone to where the others cannot irritate it. The chick is 3 days old today. It has had the growth since it hatched.
    Thanks for the reply. I just hope I haven't done anything wrong by removing the growth!

4. Foghorngreenhorn

Foghorngreenhorn New Egg

May 21, 2010
    I may get hosed for this, i dont usually respond, but its usually bc someone else already has but here goes. I "THINK" your baby may have what is called Omphalitis , or mushy chick disease. I am no expert but i read all i can. It is where the naval does not heal properly when the chick hatches , sometimes due to "helping" them out of the egg and not having the proper time to heal and sometimes dirty incubator , wrong humidity wrong temp, bacteria, and so on. Not sure if there is a pin pointed cause, but i am affraid it only ends one way, and it aint good. Have you seen the baby eat or drink, or does he stand kinda slouched, and sleeping , a little wobbly and quiet?

5. Foghorngreenhorn

Foghorngreenhorn New Egg

May 21, 2010
    Any update on the sick:/ chick ???

6. littlehenny

Jun 10, 2009
    The baby who I have named SnowBall, is eating and drinking fine, and he is the loudest one in the brooder. Snowball, still has the growth looking think on his navel, it has turned black, not draining anymore. Thanks for your input on this. I am keeping a close eye on him since there is no draining I put him back with the other chicks they all seem happy now. I am hoping this thing will drop off and all will be fine.

7. bturbo87

bturbo87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    south
    is had the same issue with one i bought from the feed store and i will tell you this from my personal night of hell, DO NOT MESS WITH IT. just let it fall off. when i got mine home i was washing pasty butts and found what i thought was a dropping she had sat on, so of course i was running her butt under warm water and twisting and sqeezing this little black dropping, which then turned into me pulling the yolk sac from her body. thankfuly a quick snip later along with some iodine antibiotic and seperation and shes doing just fine and moved outside ull time just yesterday at only 4.5 weeks old. attached is the post from that horrible night if you want some more motivation to just leave it along. a warning though some of the pics are rather graphic.

brad

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4092839#p4092839

8. Foghorngreenhorn

Foghorngreenhorn New Egg

May 21, 2010
    I'm glad to hear the chick is doing better! Hope it is ok!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by