Growth on Chicks Neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cream City Chick, May 28, 2010.

1. Cream City Chick

Cream City Chick In the Brooder

May 28, 2010
    Milwaukee
    Hello,

I have a 3 1/2 week old Buff Brahma. I noticed shortly after she hatched - there was a small hard growth on her neck. It does not seem to bother her. The other chicks peck at it. The growth is hard (almost like beak or toenail material) and is continuing to grow as she grows. It feels like it goes deep into her neck - not superficial just in the skin.

There is a small area next to the growth that is moist and ulcerated. I am not sure if this is from the other chicks pecking or if its is starting to pull away from the skin on its own.

I thought at first perhaps it was a parasite (cuterebra or something) but these chicks have never been outside and I dont see it moving at all.

Any ideas what this is? Or, what to do about it.

I am trying to post some images but have never done this before....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks!!!

Jodi

2. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Songster

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    wow, that's Odd [​IMG] I have no idea what it is...

3. Cream City Chick

May 28, 2010
    Milwaukee
    Oh no -- thats not what I wanted to hear. The last thing I need is another "special" critter. [​IMG] of course she is the most outgoing, friendly one of the bunch. I just hope this thing doesnt grow enough to compromise her trachea / esophagus or start to get infected.

4. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Songster

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    your local Vet could probably Remove it, for a price [​IMG]

5. MotherJean

MotherJean Songster

If you move it, tug on it, does she react like it's painful? It does look like (and it is possible) that it is hard keratin, like a beak or toenail - a genetic abnormality. These chicks are always a crap shoot. Some live relatively normal lives with their oddities, but most don't. It seems that many of them that do have an evident abnormality will also have others that we cannot see until a necropsy is done upon their death. Short of paying a vet to do surgery - if you can find one who's willing - you're left with two choices: taking care of a "special needs" chick for however long it survives, or cull. I'd have a hard time making that decision. I don't envy you.

6. Andi

Andi Songster

Sorry for the oddity (cute chick, tho), but welcome to BYC. Enjoy your upcoming adventures in chickenhood.

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Wow - that's just bizzare. I wonder if she ate something that then poked out of her neck..? But it sure does look like it sort of "belongs" there in an odd way (as if she was developed with this extra little appendage or whatever it is). If the other chicks are pecking at it, you should probably get some anti-peck so they will leave her alone, though, or you'll have even bigger problems than a little hard thing growing from her neck.

8. Cream City Chick

May 28, 2010
    Milwaukee
    Thanks all for your input. [​IMG]

I think it definitely grew there and isnt some sort of a foreign body. I have an email out the person I bought the fertile eggs from. She doesnt seem to mind me picking at it any more/less than any other part of her body. I gave it a tug to see if it would slide out and its definitely attached.

I dont know about having any surgery performed. I am going to try to pick up some antipeck stuff (does anybody know what this stuff is called or if there is a particular kind that is the best). We will probably just keep her around unless she loses quality of life.

Thanks again and keep it comin' if there are additional ideas!!

Jodi

9. I personally use Blu Kote to cover any and every wound but it stains everything. The plus with Blu Kote is it is also an antiseptic. Here is a thread with a few ideas:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=27360.
    Did you ever contact the other person with the chicken with the thing sticking out of it's neck?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: