Growth on leg/toe?

It's a spur. Not all hens have them, though I've seen it common in my Golden and Buff Comets. I'm not exactly sure what causes it in hens, but I'm assuming it's hormonal. I haven't seen a hen spur as long as your hen's, but spurs never stop growing, so that's why her's is so long. What breed is she?

As far as what to do about it, I'd either trim or file it down a little. There will be a quick (where the blood is in a nail, beak, or spur) that you don't want to cut into, so be aware of where it is. But I would do something because how long it's getting and it's curling. (Basically just take the edge off the end will be good enough. You don't need to do anything if you don't want to. She'll be fine either way, but I would do something.)

It's a spur. Not all hens have them, though I've seen it common in my Golden and Buff Comets. I'm not exactly sure what causes it in hens, but I'm assuming it's hormonal. I haven't seen a hen spur as long as your hen's, but spurs never stop growing, so that's why her's is so long. What breed is she?

As far as what to do about it, I'd either trim or file it down a little. There will be a quick (where the blood is in a nail, beak, or spur) that you don't want to cut into, so be aware of where it is. But I would do something because how long it's getting and it's curling. (Basically just take the edge off the end will be good enough. You don't need to do anything if you don't want to. She'll be fine either way, but I would do something.)
Thank you so much for your feedback! She is a golden comet so interesting to see yours have had it too! She has one growing on the other side but not that long and I really don’t ever remember seeing it. I think the curling caught my eye so it obviously has been there awhile!

I really appreciate your insight!

Back
Top Bottom