growth on my hen

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Sister Mary Michael, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Sister Mary Michael

Sister Mary Michael Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    Bridger MT
    I have a Valley hen that has a growth the size of a ping pong ball on one side of her breast. She doesn't act funny, eats, seems fine other wise. I felt it and it is solid, doesn't move around like an absess would. Any clues?

2. gorabbitgo

gorabbitgo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2012
    I'm no expert, but that sounds like either a cyst or a tumor. As long as she's acting normal it's probably not a major concern, though it might be prudent to take her to an avian vet if you're at all attached to her, especially if she's young or you're using her for breeding. Some types of cancer in birds have genetic links and propensity for some types of tumors can be inherited, so it's best not to use a bird with a heritable form of cancer for a breeding program.
    A vet would be able to give you a definite diagnosis as well as options for treatment.

I hope it's not serious and your little hen isn't in pain.

3. Sister Mary Michael

Apr 16, 2008
    Bridger MT
    Thanks. She doesn't seem in pain and eats, runs, calls with the other birds. I have the two pair and would hate to lose her as these guys pick on the odd man out. I'll see if I can find an avian vet.

4. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    Are you sure its not her crop full of food?

5. Sister Mary Michael

Apr 16, 2008
    Bridger MT
    Yes, it is definitely on the side of her breast and hasn't gone down at all. Weird

6. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    Hmm, perhaps it's a tumor of some sort. If she seems healthy I wouldn't worry about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by