1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

growth on my ladies bum

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by misswicks, Sep 3, 2014.

1. misswicks

misswicks Hatching

Sep 3, 2014
    Mansfield- UK
    Hi all. I'm new to BYC page but have had hens now for the last three years. Unfortunately my first post is a unhappy one! Came online for help and found this page.
    Ok so, one of my hybrids has some kind of gooey ball of growth coming out her bum. I thought she was just muddied up over the last few days but today i managed to look closer.. Its definitely a fairly big growth! Shes still moving around ok and eating etc. Walking slower than usual though.. Not sure if she is laying though as her and two others are early morning layers so done before I check, I'm only getting one egg from those three so unsure which us laying!
    Does anyone has any ideas what it could be? I'm gonna take a picture to share too wen I figure out how lol

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    1 person likes this.
  3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing 5 Years

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about your hen--hopefully whatever is wrong with her can be successfully treated. I would definitely post her symptoms in the Emergencies forum. It is possible she has prolapsed vent, or something else. Photos would help.

Good luck with her!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member 9 Years

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    After you post on the emergencies thread, put "prolapsed vent," in the search box to get some basic information.

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sorry about your bird![​IMG] Defiantly post in the link provided by Kelsie.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing 5 Years

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

I hope you find out what's wrong with your hen! [​IMG]

7. arkansas55

arkansas55 Chirping

Aug 23, 2014
    arkansas
    hello and welcome to BYC! sorry your hen is sick,you have been given some great advice above,thank's for joinig our flock[​IMG]

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the Word Staff Member Premium Member 7 Years

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So sorry about your girl. Definitely post this question in our emergency section. Give as much detail as you can. Pics always help too.

Good luck with her and I hope you can get her back to good health soon. [​IMG]

9. misswicks

misswicks Hatching

Sep 3, 2014
    Mansfield- UK
    Thank u everyone, shes still the same. Eating fine though, drinking too. And fighting off the younger ones whens treats are out lol. I will repost in the link you've mentioned when I've got a pic, will have to be first thing 2mor now when I let them out, shes in the bushes digging atm no chance of getting close enough while she's busy. [​IMG] Really hoping she'll be ok, bought some antibiotics for her just to prevent infection while its looking raw, fingers crossed what ever it is either falls off or something. Read a few people in other posts saying about failed egg masses where shell has got stuck, ends up looking like tumours. X

10. Alright [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: