growth on neck

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bridgetteanne, Mar 16, 2012.

1. bridgetteanne

bridgetteanne Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    I have 4 week old chicks and two of them have a growth on there neck. Is this something i need to worry about. they are eating find, drinking, and growing BIG but so is the growth. At first i thought it was because they were a meat chicken and i have not had them before and they were just getting a big chest. but its on the side of there necks. any thoughts? do i need to put them down :(?

2. randishinney

randishinney Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    I'm no expert and very new here, bit I believe that is the crop and your chickens are very normal.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

3. hennyandpenny

hennyandpenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Dayton, Ohio
    i had a white meat chicken that had a growth on her neck or what seemed to be a growth on her neck. it bulged out a bit and was noticeable i was worried at first but my dad (he had chickens when he was a kid) said it might be okay. two of the meat chickens we had to put down because they where attacked and the other was killed by an animal.

how long is their perch? too thick of a perch can cause them to have that bump

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I agree with randishinney. It is probably their crop, perfectly normal.
    Is it on the right side like between the neck and chest?
    It should fill up with food during the day and feel firm & soft. The crop is where food is stored. At night it will go down (deflate) as the food passes through the crop into the digestive system.

Imp

5. horseshowmomnv

horseshowmomnv Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Reno NV
    We had a chick with a growth on her neck, she was 2.5 weeks old. It appeared to be growing and causing some mental health issues, she was weak and lethargic in spite of all of our efforts to help her. As long as your chicks are acting normal, not sure you can do anything about the growth. I hope your outcome is better than ours. I know that I am not much help... just thought I would share.

6. bridgetteanne

bridgetteanne Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    thanks for all the input, i will check them in the am, see if its smaller. Yes is its on the right side both of them. I guess we will just see where this goes. thank you much.
    Bridgette

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by