1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Growth on underside of my hen. What is it? (GRAPHIC IMAGES)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by watkinskr, Sep 9, 2016.

1. watkinskr

watkinskr New Egg

Feb 3, 2013
    Pictured here is my 2(?) year old Marans, with some kind of hard mass on her underside. She is lying on her side, her vent is on the left side. Vent is fine. She's had a messy butt, so I brought her in to take a look and this is what I found. I bathed her in Epsom salt bath and put antibiotic ointment and VetRX on the mass. Anyone know what this might be?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    That doesn't look good but then again I'm not a chicken doc. You might type 'hen swollen abdomen' in the BYC search box. I did and several old threads popped up. Things like egg bound and egg yolk perotonitis. Hope you find the answer soon. Best of luck!

3. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    If it's a hard mass my best guess would be tumour or internal laying. I just helped one of my barred rocks along 2 weeks ago with same symptoms. She had pretty messy loose poop and that hard bulge stuck out further than her vent so it was constantly a mess. She hadn't laid in months and just slowly declined. All I could do was supportive care. I had another go the same way at only a year and a half and had my neighbor do a necropsy. Large tumour. I hope I'm wrong but it's a fairly common issue in hens.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC.

It looks like it could be some type of abscess.
    Is that ointment on it or is it oozing?
    What does it feel like?
    Does it smell?

5. watkinskr

watkinskr New Egg

Feb 3, 2013
    The mass is hard, not oozing. No odor. I put ointment on it. It's not near her vent, but she hasn't laid all summer.

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    The swollen abdomen could be an internal laying/reproductive disorder like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Ascites, tumors or cancer.
    The little swollen lump could be an abscess.
    Does she still get along ok, eating/drinking, pooping, etc.?
    Does she roost or does she lay down alot?

Continue to give her a soak and apply the ointment.
    Offer her some poultry vitamins in her water for a few days.

Let us know how she's doing.

7. watkinskr

watkinskr New Egg

Feb 3, 2013
    Thank you, I'll keep working with her and keep you posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by