Growth or Infection next to Beak

LucyBW

Chirping
Jun 10, 2017
Hi Everyone
I have a small flock of 4 chickens and my older one has developed a growth of sorts on the edge of her lower beak. I think it has developed over the last 2 weeks.
She is a Barred Rock, probably about 6 years old. She seems alert and comes out to see me, same as usual. And she is still laying. Her beak is starting to scissor slightly due to the growth/infection. I don’t know of any trauma.

My hens eat Layena pellets and I give them oyster shells.
They are free range within a pen that is 24 X 28 feet with several trees in it. We live in San Diego.
The other 3 hens seem perfectly healthy. All laying, no beak issues.

Here are a couple of pictures. I’d love to hear what any of you think…
Thanks so much!
Lucy

Beak1 sm.jpg Beak2 sm.jpg

I looked inside her mouth. Kindof a yellowish version of cottage cheese.
Didn't seem like much of a foul odor, at about 3 inches away.
She is not eating pellets.
I mashed up some of her feed with a little water and mixed in some yogurt. She ate quite a bit. Then drank lots of water.
She is not looking well. Sometimes just stands dazed with her eyes closing, or one eye closed.
Starting to research canker...

Is it ok to human antibiotic cream on the infection beside her mouth?
I have Polysporin.

Last edited:
Sometimes these lesions inside and outside the beak can be from wet fowl pox or more rarely, cancer of the mouth. Those should not have a terrible odor as canker does. But canker is a common infection, carried by pigeons and other wild birds. It can be treated with certain anti-protozoal drugs such as metronidazole (fish zole) or ronidazole. Your vet may be of help in diagnosing.

Oh ok.
I'm starting to look up wet fowl pox....I should ask the feed store where I got her if she would have been inoculated for fowl pox.
There are no pigeons where I live, but plenty of small birds that get into the pen.

I tried to cleanup the growth/wound and put some polysporin on it.

Back
Top Bottom