Growth rate chart

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by elly12, Jan 27, 2017.

1. elly12

elly12 Out Of The Brooder

Hi All Poultry Lovers!
    I've been looking around for a good chart with growth rates for heritage chicken breeds. Like a comparison chart of how much weight they gain while they grow. I'm making my own one with the breeds I have, but I was surprised with how much difference there is between each breed!
    Thanks Everyone!

2. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    I need one too! Most threads I read so far seem to indicate white rocks grow fastest, but we dont want white birds so I'm trying australorp and standard cornish and saipan. The saipan are only 1 week old but at this point they are tiny. Mainly i was just curious if they could fight off a hawk once the roosters get big, even if they end up growing slow. A few years ago we had blrw and they had nice breast meat compared to others we ate. Even the bantam wyandotte boys were nice for eating and they were so easy to process. I am looking for a chart too with more breeds included.

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    It's difficult to generalize about breeds, because there's huge variability between strains of the same breeds, depending on the breeder/ hatchery sources. Look at the breed standard, and expect that groups of birds will not all reach breed weight goals. I had some nice buff Rocks, by the way, consider them. Cornish and Jersey Giants grow slowly but make very nice meat birds too. Wyandottes are really good; I order from hatcheries, and have found that the very popular colors of Rocks and Wyandottes will tend to be smaller than the less common strains, as the barred Rocks compared to the buff, and the better size of the BLRWs. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by