Growth Rate Of Chicks

juliect

Songster
10 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Niota, TN
I have 8 Faverolles chicks that I received from MPC. They are all supposed to be 2 weeks old today, but half of them have wing feathers & starting growth on their tail and body feathers...the other four still have their down, only partial wing feather growth, and no tail feathers. Is this normal to have this different growth rates among one batch of chicks? They all seem healthy & all are eating well...I am just puzzled by the difference.

Thank goodness! I thought I had stunted their growth...I purchased a 2nd bag of starter from our local coop and had fed it to them for 3 days before I realized it only had 16% protein. I then went back to TSC and purchased a bag of their 20% protein starter. Phew!

But wait...4 roos? Yikes!!! I only ordered two. Stay tuned, there may be some Favs roos up for adoption in east TN
wink.png

Quote:
I know how you feel. I couldn't find any Favs within 500 miles of me, so I gave up & ordered them from MPC when they became available.

Quote:
Salmon Favorelles are very easy to sex at this age.
The hens have salmon colored wing feathers.
The roos have black colored wing feathers.

That's a relief...there are only two with black feathers on wings. And they are in the four with very little feather production.

Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom