Growth Spurt?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kbandwe, Oct 7, 2013.

1. kbandwe

kbandwe Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2013
    Spring Lake, NC
    Most of my chicks are 5 weeks old. Between 3 breeds, I've noticed that my rocks are growing faster. They are fully feathered already with my RIR close behind.

Anyway, the rocks seem to be growing really, really fast all of the sudden. They have to duck to walk under the perch in the brooder cage I have for them.

Do chickens go through growth spurts? I've been giving them chick feed from the family farm store and letting them roam in the yard to eat what they find... I'm kind of glad I don't have to clothe them, I'd have gone broke with their growth rate. Is this normal?

2. TNchickies

TNchickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    Yes, growth spurts are normal. Sometimes, due to good weather, chicks can grow faster or slower. Rocks generally due grow pretty fast, as i know from experience. I have RIRs also, which were a month older than my rock, and within a couple months, the rock was the same size. I understand the 'going broke' thing too. Feed is expensive. However, if you love your chickies as much as i do, (which i'm sure you do), you will find a way to pay for them. Hope this info helps! [​IMG]

3. kbandwe

kbandwe Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2013
    Spring Lake, NC
    Thanks, it set my mind at ease. The going broke was talking about if I had to but clothes for them... Every other day they'd out grow their clothes... I'll not really having an issue with the feed. I've spent less then $20 over the last 6 weeks on feed... Maybe because I'm freeranging them in the yard?

4. TNchickies

TNchickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    That's possible! [​IMG] your chickens will be HUGE before too long! lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by