1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Growth Time-Line

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kenh2010, Apr 3, 2011.

1. kenh2010

kenh2010 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    Idaho
    I'm six weeks into my very first batch of chicks. Been way more fun than I ever expected! So far everything has gone well without a hitch except for a broken toenail the other day. I was wondering if anyone would have a minute to post a time line as to the development of chicks into pullets. I don't seem to have a good idea as to when they for instance

1. Grow wattles/combs
    2. Grow mature feathers
    3. Crow
    4. Make adult chicken noises (clucking etc. - mine still just peep)
    5. Spur growth
    6. Etc.

I must admit, my main concern is trying to determine the gender of our babies since we live in a community that does not allow roosters. I have SLWs, Golden Sex Links and White Crested Black Polish.

The Wyandottes are all looking the same except for one, which is smaller with a more blackish colored comb area compared to the other three which have a more orange colored comb area. The Polish look the same except for the crest configration - just shaped differently and one is a little larger. The GSLs of course are no problem gender wise. Just wondering when I'll know for sure what genders they are. Thanks for your help if you know what kind of develpment time line we can expect.

Ken

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    These things vary from breed to breed. In my flock, they have matured in the reproductive sense mostly around 18 or 20 weeks. This is when crows, eggs, red combs, mating, etc. have begun. In roos of breeds like SLW and sex links, I have seen more redness than the pullets have at a younger age, maybe starting around 4 to 6 weeks. But it all varies both with breeds and with individuals. And I've never had Polish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by