growth under wing with pics.. WARNING GRAPHIC PICS!! MORE PICS!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by smom1976, Feb 13, 2009.

1. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    It was foul smelling but not any more because we washed it.. and cleaned it quite a bit.

It is hard.. I only noticed it because I grabbed her and i felt it break.. When I was moving it it started to bleed I dont think we could cut it off or even trim it .. oh and it stinks ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

any suggestions on what I should do ?? The pink/red area is where there is blood under the skin.. where this growth thing is attached..

Ok so we soaked, picked, cleaned, cut, soaked some more, cleaned some more.. You get the picture..

But this is what is left.. is it a tumor or just where the skin had been pulled for so long??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  2. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    It definately looks like something infected. Have you checked the area for mites? It could be a severe infestation in that area. If not, I would clean it up with some warm soap and water. Maybe with the warm water, it will break up a little bit for you. Maybe some neosporin or betadine after that. Best of luck.

3. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    was she fighting and was injured, or a feather that didn't come through. clean very well, remove any dead skin, and feathers around it if possible, make sure they are not 'alive' then neosporin I would keep her by herself till healed electrolytes in the water. I don't use antibiotics so if you would like to use those someone else will need to till you.

4. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    Stink means infection. Cut it off and cleanse it. Many have said DON'T use Hydrogen Peroxide but I've been using it for years and it has worked for me as a cleansing agent on infected or puss sores on fowl.. After you get it cut off and cleaned out, put some neosprin (original) on it. Give her some pennicillin shots for four days or use the anti-biotic powder (several kind at feedstore) in her water.Would be a good idea to keep her away from other fowl until it heals. Can't tell exactly what caused it but this would be what I would do for a stinky growth.

5. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    looks like blood blister, poke it with a needle and drain it.

6. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    I added more pics to the first post..

7. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Get some Corona antibiotc cream at the feed store and coat it real good. Corona comes in a little red and yellow tub, about pint size. It`s the best stuff I`ve ever used in 52 years with fowl.

8. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    I didn't see it from that side with the last pictures. Try the Corona smear first. It's in the horse section at co-op. Good post, Lollipop! You still got infection if it's stinkin so I'd lance and clean it anyway. Boil out the stink with Peroxide then use the Corona Smear on it.

9. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    would it be possiable to tie it off. like a farmer dose to make a bull a steer? then it should dry up and fall off. use the cream too

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  10. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

To me it looks like the excess skin where the pocket of abscess was. Clean it very well, and I'd take warm epsom salt, Benadine or saline and put in a needless syringe and flush out the pocket. Then use Neosporin, Nitrofurizone or one of the other healing sabs suggested. Should heal up fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by