Grr, someone's trying to hack my paypal!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Bettacreek, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Well, I check my email to find a paypal case notification. I was shocked, thinking maybe someone's product didn't arrive, and instead of telling me, simply opened up a case. I'm a little peeved at this point, but open the email, and to my surprise, my account was locked because there were too many attempts to access the account with the wrong password! I haven't logged into that account for awhile, I usually just use the email for shipping addresses. Now I have to get my credit card to reopen the account and get my money out. Stupid jerks. Why would you try to steal someone else's money anyways? [​IMG]

2. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Grr! People! I am going into paypal right now to change my password. I haven't used it in ages but I am not gonna let someone steal my dad's credit card info. Yes, he knows his cc is on my account. He gave me permission as I don't have my own cc and I always ask him before I buy something.

ETA: And I always pay him in cash what I do put on his card.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  3. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

someone else got hacked today too here on BYC....

this is why I closed my PP account last year - too many people were getting hacked. [​IMG] Sorry this happend to you.

4. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Umm, anyone who gets this email needs to disregard it. Sign into paypal, by typing paypal.com into your browser, and you'll see that it doesn't ask you for any info. If you click the link, it takes you to another browser, with paypal's page, then asks for acct and password (like you would sign into for paypal), then asks for credit card info to verify. I had to change my password because I clicked the link and "signed in" through their page. I advise anyone else who has done this to change passwords and call the credit card company if they gave any information to the fake paypal. [​IMG]

5. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    I'm going in to change my password right now too.

6. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    And, the email title: PayPal Notification Case AX-309-05-66þ

And the email:

PayPal Notification Case AX-309-05-66þ
    You may not know this sender.Mark as safe|Mark as junk
    Sent: Mon 4/06/09 7:46 AM
    To:

We regret to inform you that access to your account has been temporarily limited.

This has been done due to several failed log-in attempts.

Case ID: AX-309-05-66

To restore your account please log in correctly.

If you fail to log in correctly your account will be suspended for fraud prevention.

You will be able to register again for PayPal only after you authenticate your profile.

We apologize for the inconvenience, this measure was taken for your protection.

PayPal Security Team

7. jonesgirl

jonesgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Nevada
    See the other paypal post from today.. I listed ways to keep yourself safe from spoof e-mails...

8. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Farmgirlie, just in case, you can buy reloadable credit cards at Walmart and Dollar General. Walmart's are like $3, then you add whatever you want to the card. That's just if you want your own "credit card", as it sounds like everything is working alright with your current set up anyways, lol.

ETA: Jones, you're actually the reason I did a double check on it. Thank you VERY much, that saved me a LOT of hassles and possibly a lot of money. I use my credit card to get gas so that I don't have to carry a toddler and an infant into the store to buy gas, so having to wait, what, like six weeks, to get another one would have been a huge hassle for me and the kiddos.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  9. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I have gotten two of those emails in the past two weeks. I know better than to open them though, and just forward them to [email protected] and they do whatever they do with them.

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Be VERY careful about following a link to log in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Exit the email, go to paypal without the link and check it out. I am smelling a rat here......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by