1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

GRRR Cat!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by EmAbTo48, Nov 10, 2011.

1. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Went down to our barn this morning to do the morning chores, as I was feeding the rabbits a black cat (looks to be about 2 years old) litterally tryed leaping into one of the rabbit hutches, I yelled and it hid some where in the barn.... well I let the chickens out, fed the pigs and ducks, fed our other cats ( our ferals, barns cats) I knew id have to come down to the barn to check on the chickens since this cat tryed to get one of my rabbits while I was standing two feet away! Went out 3 times all seemed fine was hoping it ate the other food and we just have another feral.

Well I went down to shut all the pens and of course this stupid cat killed one of my buffs! [​IMG]

We get feral/stray cats all the time, we have 3 barn cats plus in the winter about 5 ferals that come and go and then will disapear in the summer.... all our cats our spayed/neutered and we have caught 3 of the five of the ferals t
    and fixed them too... anyways this has been only the 2nd cat we have found that would rather kill our animals then take the free food we put out.

I even put tuna out for it and it ate that.... I know its just trying survive but now we have to trap it or kill it. I am hoping I can catch it tomorrow and will go release it up by our syrup building about 20 mintues from our place otherwise hubbys coming home in the afternoon while I am at work and chasing it out of the barn and killing it [​IMG]

As much as I am not happy it killed my hen I hate the thought of killing it for it just trying to survive.

2. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

That would make me mad too. [​IMG] it's a good idea to move that cat far away. Do you have a pen that you can keep your girls in?

3. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Sadly no they free range, so they will be stuck in the coop tomorrow luckly its a good sized coop! I know they won't be happy about this but they won't become cat food!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by