Grrr-China food imports

country lady

Songster
11 Years
Nov 8, 2008
NW Tennessee
I am sorry to complain but I feel strongly about this subject. I finally found an apple juice from Michigan, Indian Summer, and now I notice the flag emblem is missing and it is a blend of USA/China juice. No doubt it couldn't compete against the other brands at Wal-Mart.

When I find a good company I send them a compliment note and I did this with Indian Summer. So I complain and compliment companies. Fair.

I do not eat anything from China if possible. This is a personal choice and I don't criticize others who do, HOWEVER, it appears our American companies and government are not looking out for us. The latest being contaminated wallboard.

A few months ago I watched a documentary about China. There is an area there that is so polluted that the environment is sterile, nothing grows, no insects or birds--nothing!

I have this love/hate feeling about Wal-Mart. I have a long list of items I need to buy but the only choice is Made in China. Monday I tried to buy a simple kitchen sink strainer-China! If Wal-Mart would just give me a choice of China or USA, I will pay a higher price. Almost every little nut and bolt is from China. I sometimes wonder where our strategic military hardware is made! I certainly wouldn't want a nuclear plant built of Chinese products!

I am not against buying foreign goods; I am against cheap, contaminated junk flooding our stores. American companies can't compete with China, which evidently, has no pollution controls or worker benefits. Wal-Mart has driven out much of their competition so even if I shop elsewhere it is likely everything there is from China too. I sew; lately I've noticed more and more fabric from China--where does it end?

Sorry to be so negative. I am so frustrated.

Shoot I know it, I am a big apple juice fan and I have to shell out 5 bucks for 1/2 a gallon for my juice that comes from the USA. I just cant eat food from China, after hearing about the contaminants they put in the food there own country has to eat, who knows what they will try and give us.

I agree about the food stuff. When shopping for Easter basket stuff I read the labels and rejected anything that was made in China. I found that I had to stick with brands like Russell Stover and Hershey to be able to get candy made in the US for their baskets. I work in the pet food industry and am amazed at the amount of pet treats that are made in China now lining the shelves of pet supermarkets too. No wonder we're struggling with unemployment in this country, hardly anything is made here anymore!
rant.gif

I completely agree! I am a frugal person by nature, but would be willing to pay more knowing that my hard-earned money is going to American employees & by companies that are required to have standards into what they are producing & how it is produced.

China produced food, is forbidden in my household. I am so glad they have finally passed a law, for all food sources to be stated on the packaging. With all of the problematic products that have been coming out of China, it worries me to feed any of it to my family.

I don't know if you have a Meijer by you, but their apple juice is 100% made from Michigan Apples (the best apples in my opinion, I'm a native Michigander). I was at Meijer the other day & was going to purchase a bag of Tilipia fish on sale. Looked like a good deal...no wonder, it was grown/harvested in China
roll.png

cmcgoun, what brand of apple juice do you buy? I've noticed more and more, country origin is not listed, just a line that says: distributed by or assembled in US. I understand that some things have global parts. My issue is just tell me where the food comes from and I have the choice to buy or not buy. But I would like an American choice.

Augustmomx2, I spent my early years in Michigan and the apples were wonderful! So many varieties too. We don't have a Meijer anywhere near us. I have looked at Tilipia, too, as a treat and didn't buy for the same reason. I am not confident about other Asian countries as well. If only our country would require better inspections, I would buy. We can't grow everything we eat but we will support American food companies. We have always been frugal and careful food shoppers. Most things on our table are homemade.

Edited to say:

No, we unfortunately don't have Harris Teeters. We have just the usual stores in a farming area, Kroger, Food Giant, Save-A-Lot, etc.

Edited:

I will check at Krogers. Every time I can't find something, I find it at Krogers. DH just noticed the Indian Summer bottle this morning. I will be going to town tomorrow. Thank you so much. I've found my Hodgson Mill flour and cornmeal, Dukes Mayo, and canned plums there. Wal-Mart used to carry the Hodgson Mill products. If you like cornbread, their cornmeal is so good. Eating habits have changed so much over the years. Years ago I made a plum cake, like a kuchen, and couldn't find canned plums--at Krogers!

Last edited:
Do you guys have Harris Teeters over there? If you do its in a glass bottle, its called apple cider, but it has a great taste. Its called Murray's, they do also make and apple juice but my store doesn't have it. Its all 100% juice, and comes from Virginia growers. Best juice EVER
big_smile.png

Edited to include a link: These are places where you can buy the products, you can also read about the juices and what types they make http://www.murraycider.com/stores.html

Last edited:
i agree completely i am also upset that my ds watches noggen and now he is speaking chinese from watching Melan Kilan (or something like that) I am all for him learning other languages but would have preffered Japanese or Korean if I had to choose. But learning the language from a country that will ship lead painted toys, and stuff filled with toxic chemicals is just not ok to me!

Last edited:
Yea Krogers a nice store they have a lot of stuff! When I went there a week ago I saw the juice, but it was like near the vegetables...seems like a weird place to have it, if you cant find it you might have to ask the manager!

Last edited:
I hate to tell you, but watch out for Hershey's they just closed their plant and moved production to Mexico......

I will not shop at Wal-Mart at all. I know many people have no choices (due to Wal-mart) but I have not stepped foot in one in better than ten years and don't plan to start now.

I had a student come from China last year. I found her outside video taping straight up! I asked her what she was taping and she said she could not get over how blue the sky was here and her family did not believe her!

This girl was from a very wealthy connected family in China and she had never seen a sky as blue as ours due to pollution in Beijing......

Back
Top Bottom