Grrr........ Lost a rooster pheasant today.

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Dogfish, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Something needs to die. Traps are being set tonight next to the pens. Rooster pheasant is the bait. Ate one leg through the fence so it is probably a coon.

I have a total of 5 mature hens, all consistent layers, and now a single mature rooster. Will he be able to service all 5 reliably?

Thanks.

2. DomC

DomC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2010
    Las Vegas
    Sorry to here for your lost. I hear a single rooster can service upto 8 hens. I hope you catch the sucker. It's to bad you where closer to Vegas, I would give you my rooster and hen..

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  3. pheasant24

pheasant24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Kalamazoo, MI
    yah I had a coon get a one quail and my chicken that was settin on 12 eggs.
    then next day he dug under my peacock pen and ate all the food...then I finally got him!!!
    little devils.... [​IMG]

4. Dogfish

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    The rooster will get the final laugh, as he is bait in the two traps. He was a beautiful ringneck.

5. DAS

DAS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    NW Wisconsin
    Have 3 traps set. Probably looking for a weasel/mink or fisher (sp?). He killed my male Reeves. Dug under the fence. Hole wasn't big enough to be a coon. He is also bait for tonight.

6. Dogfish

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    I think I'll shuttle the roo between the two pens, 7 days at a time.

7. psimons2004

psimons2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Cheyenne
    My husband is spending the night outside under a cam blanket with a nice lead gift for our neighborhood fox. Good luck with your conquest. We want to stuff ours if catch him, LOL.

8. J3172

J3172 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Michigan
    I had a raccoon eat two mallards, and two gambel quail the otherday. Then he got not so lucky when the lab caught up with him.

9. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    I keep a live trap baited under the pens at all times. More when I find tracks or sign. That way I can "cure" their bird kill'in ways, at my convenience... Bill

10. Dogfish

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    My traps are always baited, but I move them around the property from time to time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by