grrrr a bit mad; didn't know... should have come here FIRST

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Yogalady, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Yogalady

Yogalady Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    Burbs of Philly
    I didn't know about this group - I had an ebay incubator and eggs and it just said to fill up a leg of the bater with water...so that is what we did. I think all along it was now too low of humidity.
    I have started with more which someone said is about right (slight humidity on plastic) and wish I would have done this all along.

My little eggs are now late but I'll wait another two days... then I guess say a little prayer to the nature god and be done... and try another batch.

ughghghg

please look at my other post s (only three other) and respond if you can??? Thank you.

2. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    I am sorry about your hatching problems.

[​IMG]

I am on my first hatch, a learning process from what I understand and trying my hardest not to get attached to my 14 chicken eggs that I put in the bator!

3. Yogalady

Mar 1, 2009
    Burbs of Philly
    Thank you soccermomof7

You know, the bug has bit and I have to do this again! I am addicted - it's hard not to be with so many passionate people here [​IMG]

Yes this IS a learning process. I homeschool my kids so this is a unique experience for them. It is hard to not get attached though you know!

4. mom2fourbebes

mom2fourbebes Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2008
    Soccermom is sooo right...it is a learning process...

I am hatching my first eggs....Silkies....I started with 20...I dropped one...thank goodness it wasn't fertile or I'd feel really bad about now...

I've candled and it looks like I only have about 9 viable so far...

About humidity...that thing just about drives me crazy...I have a little giant still air with egg turner...my temps been steady at 100 but my humidity has fluctuated between 40 and 50...I don't fill the water wells in the incubator, all I do is put a sponge in there when I see the humidity getting ready to drop to 30...I dip my sponge in hot water and I probably only re-dip the sponge in hot water every 4 or 5 days....

So we're crossing all our toes and fingers and eyes (but not too long on the eyes [​IMG] and hoping for the best!

5. Scraps

Scraps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    End of a dirt road...
    You must have one of the little plastic bators with the dome. I have one as well, I bought it for my sons classroom. I decided to give it a test run before I handed it over to his teachers...
    somehow the chick fully developed but never made it out alive. The temps all along were VERY unstable and I constantly had to add or remove the tin foil or move the bulb up and down, very frustrating! I think the kicker was the humidity though. If I had to do it all over again I would have put water in two of the feet instead of just 1. Good luck with yours!!

6. Yogalady

Mar 1, 2009
    Burbs of Philly
    Yes Scraps, that is it. It's a real pain. I've been on ebay now tonight hell bent on a better incubator!

7. Scraps

Scraps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    End of a dirt road...
    I bought a Hovabator with the fan and turner, works like a dream! I also have a
    LG with a fan that I use as the hatcher. Can't really say which one is better, they both hold the temp fairly steady. I showed my hubby the Dickey website last night and he actually suggested that I use part of our tax refund to buy one [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. bumpershoot

bumpershoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC!
    I am sorry to hear that your first round of eggs was not as successful as you would have hoped. Still, the good news is you are here and learning. We all learn the most when things go wrong. Never fear, the next round will be better.
    Which breed/s are you hoping for?

9. Yogalady

Mar 1, 2009
    Burbs of Philly
    I was hoping for Cortunix quail... [​IMG]
    They are still in and I won't give up until ..wednesday.

Wish me luck. One would be nice. There are only 8 eggs....

10. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Yogalady, have you looked at the instructions for MissPrissy's bator? It doesn't look too hard, that is what I was going to do before everyone convinced me to go ahead and get mine. I was going to buy one of those little ones off ebay to just try the hatch thing but did some reasearch and learned not much success rate.

I also homeschool, but just one of my children, it's my first year, I don't know that I will be continuing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by