GRRRR... clumsy me...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by missourichickenmama, Mar 30, 2009.

1. missourichickenmama

missourichickenmama SURPRISE!

Jul 17, 2008
    Missouri
    Well, I was gathering the eggs, and when I was walking up the stairs I tripped. eggs went flying. the chickens were on them in a minuet, eating the egg yolk and whites. I gathered up the eggshells so that they will not associate them as a source of calcium. will they become egg eaters?

2. Jetlander

Jetlander Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    Spokane, Washington
    For your sake, I hope not. It sounds like you will be eating a lot of chicken in the forseeable future if they do. Mental note to self....Don't drop eggs in front of the girls.[​IMG]

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I've had pullets eat eggs in the early stage of laying a couple of times, that were laid outside the nest box. I suspect they just got broken, as it was in a high traffic area of the coop. None of them ever became egg eaters. They were free range and getting back out to forage for bugs was a big priority for them. After they lay, they have to run back out and make sure they aren't missing something. I don't think the eggs were such a big deal for them.

4. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    I've had chickens clean up a few "accidents" and have had no problems with egg eating as a habit. I'm sure as it was a one-off you will be fine.

5. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    been there, done that. I didn't get any egg eaters out of it, thankfully.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by