grrrr leak in coop roof

abhaya

Songster
12 Years
Nov 5, 2010
cookeville, tn
rant.gif
It rained really hard here last night when I went out to let the girls out to free range the coop was soaked. Right down the middle of the coop. The coop is 15x15 a 6-8 foot strip right down the center is soaked. the feeder was full of water. I am sooooooo mad. I just had work done on that roof to fix it and it is as bad as it was before. I am disabled and cant get on the roof to look at it. not sure what I am gonna do. I will call the guys who did the work but it might be a ewhile before they can get here and it is gonna get cold tonight there is no way I can dry the coop out in 1 day and it is still raining.
somad.gif
rant.gif

Is it really cold there, yet?

If you could get someone to tarp it, that would be ideal.

Can you watch and see where the rain is coming in? Maybe you can put down some pots or bowls to catch some of the rain.

If you can place their food in a different spot that's dry, that would be good.

If they aren't roosting in the rain, that would be good. Maybe rain isn't landing on them when they roost. If it is, maybe you could rig up something inside the coop as a mini shelter over the roost. Even if a tarp is shedding water onto the floor, but keeping the chickens dry, it would be better for them.

Something like a wood pallet would keep them out of damp wood shavings, temporarily.

We would come help you if we lived closer.
hugs.gif

Quote:
No it is not supper cold yet

Gonna call the farmer down the road he is eally nice and always willing to lend a hand.

The rain is comming in the entire width of the coop on a beam. I had buckets in the coop today. I had to empty 6 5 gal buckets so they didnt over flow 2x and will have to do it again soo.

All the litter got pitched out the door this afternoon. I had to get it off the floor it was soggy

I am just venting but it makes me sooooo mad.

To top it off when I was cleaning out the soggy muck I found a round worm in the litter right under where my only laying hen roosts so now I have to worm and toss eggs too.

sorry to hear about your troubles...we will try and send some sunshine from hawaii! although we are in our beginning of our rainy season here. we live up the mountain a little so it gets cold and very wet with lots of MUD
barnie.gif
i have a few leaks i need to take care of myself one of these days soon.... good luck to you, hope things get better. aloha

I think I got the worst of it taken care of!!!! I had a bunch of old roofing tin I put it inside the coop like a drop cealing and tilted it so the water will go out under the roof overhang wher my ventalation is.
fl.gif

abhaya, we have a smaller leak in the roof of my oldest (and largest) coop, and because I can't figure out exactly where it is we just threw a heavy duty tarp over the whole roof and secured it with heavy duty bungee cords. Maybe your farmer friend could help you do that??? How big is the building? You can get those tarps at Wal Mart. Might get you through the winter if he can secure it really well.

Blessings - -

I have a tarp over my chicken shed. I am hoping to lay something over the roof in the spring. Hope they fix your problem.I hate it when you hire someone and they don't do a good job,but worse is when they don't come back to fix it.Roofer for our house was like that!

I put a sloping roof up on our coop, we had high winds and rain the other night, I had rain too inside, so will tarp it until the spring. Go to Harbor Freight, they sell good strength tarps at reasonable prices! Next spring, I go for a full pitched roof instead....

Back
Top Bottom