GRRRR!!! Naughty, Naughty Rooster!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Frozen Feathers, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Up until now my rooster has been relatively calm around my daughter...of course I always supervised them together. Well, look at what that little jerk did!!!! I was bottle feeding my baby goats...turn away for one second and then I hear her screaming. I am going to borrow my FIL dremmel and cut those spurs right off!!!! I know he's just doing what a rooster does...but if he wasn't my favorite rooster he'd be headed for the stew pot!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2007
  2. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    OH thats not good... poor baby!

I woudl have had that rooster in the stew pot already!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Honestly, it could have been her eyes at her height. You really should not take the chance. There are too many sweetheart roos out there to tolerate an aggressive one, even if he is doing what comes naturally to him. I have three very sweet ones, and if any one changed and did that, he'd be gone, one way or another. Even without spurs, he has claws.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  4. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, at least you can comfort your daughter with some chicken soup! [​IMG]

I don't have a full grown roo (yet), but I don't think I'd ever let young children around them -they're just too close to chicken height for them not to be viewed as a threat. Heck, I don't even want small kids around my dog, and she's a sweetie (but too enthusiastic)!

Anyway, clean that up and get a bandage on it. She may not be too enthusiastic about watching the chickies now, but I guess she learned a valuable lesson about them. Now you can teach her the joys of chicken stew! [​IMG]

5. Jsto

Jsto Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    Ouch! Poor little baby [​IMG] I'm a veggie, so of course I'm not going to advise anything going near the stewpot (although I fully support people's choices...don't want anyone to take that statement as preaching, as that's not how it was intended at all), but I would say that if he's aggressive something needs to be done. It would be a shame for you child to be scared of all chickens. It's easy for kids to generalise these kinds of things. I was bitten by a Golden Retriever of all dogs when I was about 8 and still have a hard time being near that breed. Took me years to get back to not being completely wary of all dogs as well.

edited for typos. Me talk pretty one day!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  6. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    Oh gosh I remember being bitten by a Great Dane, not BADLY - I think he wasn't intending to HURT, but I am still nervous around them as well!

I've been thinking about getting a ROO myself - and now I think NOT...... I thought it would be nice to have some"one" other than myself to protect and warn my girls, and protect them..... I have two small kids, and dont' want to chance it now, thats scary to me! I think the "girls" will have to be ROO'LESS.....

I really hope your little girl is not too sore on the belly! Its such a long scratch, I would imagine its going to hurt with almost any kind of movement! I wish I could offer more advice on how to get it to heal fast!!

7. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Oh my!!! Favorite or NOT.....he would be GONE! There is NO animal more important than the safety of our children. He WILL do it again, spurs or not. PLEASE, please be carefull...lock that little sucker up when the kids are out there.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My friend had a Delaware rooster who started out very friendly. Suddenly, he began attacking her two-year-old daughter every time he saw her. First he was penned with his hen to produce fertile eggs, then he lost his head. A child's eyes can easily be gouged by a rooster and she knew it.

9. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I know, I know. You all think I've lost my mind for not getting rid of him... [​IMG]

I am going to lock him up...I didn't see what happened and it very reckless of me to trust them together...I will never let him near her again him near her. He has never shown signs of aggression, ever, so I am completely baffled. My Japanese bantam beats him up all the time and he just runs away.

My daughter still loves the chickens and later she was playing with the Black Star after the roo was put away and I put some neosporin on her scratches after cleaning them. She's a tough little cookie!

10. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Hi Angie,
    You can easily remove the spurs without using the dremmel. Heat up a potato till pretty hot. Put it on his spur for a min or two. Then remove the potato and take pliers and TWIST the spur off. It will come off very easily! Have cornstarch or flour ready in case of a bit of bleeding. Repeat on the other spur.

The removal will last approx 4 to six months before you have to do it again, and there is much less trauma to the leg. Of course if the roo is seriously aggressive, you may want to consider rehoming him and finding another more gentle. I have a gamebird roo and he is one of the best ever (I have lots of children), but I keep the spurs removed for the "just in case" possibility.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by