Grrrr...room mate rant! Why can't people clean?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chickerdoodle13, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've been back at school in my apartment for about a week now. It's been great so far. My classes are awesome, I'm happy to see my friends, and it's refreshing to have a change of scenery. However, I feel like lately I've just been cleaning up after my room mates. They aren't completely messy, but little htings have just been bothering me.

Like, I vacuumed all the floors and asked everyone to take their shoes off so they don't track the mud and sand into the apartment. Well, my one room mate completely ignores my request, and then tells me she doesn't take her shoes off at home so she doesn't want to here. SO, I had to wipe up the whole floor and vacuum AGAIN! It happened a second time and I told her to clean it up because I wasn't vacuuming a third time.

Then there's the issue with the hair. It seems like no one can clean up their hair! With four girls in the apartment, you can imagine there is a lot of hair! However, when I'm at home it's a rule to wipe up the hair from the floor int he b-room after you've brushed it and to clean it out of the shower drain. Seems like no one here will do that!

They also seem to always leave the counters (bathroom and kitchen) and the stove dirty. I seem to always be the one who has to wipe everything up.

I'm not a clean freak sort of person, but it's embarrassing when the RA comes over to check things out and the counters are a mess and there's hair all over the bathroom. If everyone did their small part, it would not take so long to clean up and the apartment would stay clean much longer.

Don't get me wrong because I am really good friends with all my room mates. I'm very happy living with them because they are respectful for the most part. Tonight I'm going to sit everyone down after classes and have a little chat. That way I can voice my opinion and they can voice theirs. Wish me luck!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

You guys need to come up with a duty list. Rotate chores around so the same person isn't doing the same thing all the time. Roommates can be hard to live with. There is always gonna be something that drives one of you nuts!

3. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    Quote:That is so true, it is hard living with someone else that does not like cleanliness like you do. Of course there is the extreme where they are clean freaks and drive you nuts [​IMG]

A chore list would be a great idea! Good luck [​IMG]

4. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I hear ya! There were four of us guys that shared a place...I did the cooking cuz well I could and they would mess up ice...well they got to clean-up...they decided it would be funny to not clean up to see if i would...they got hungry eventually and cleaned...of course the greatest part was that two guys were in each bedroom with their own bathroom...me and my roomy were slobs! Clothes everywhere just nasty...the other guys made their beds...[​IMG]...well a female friend came over and wasn't about to use the slob's bathroom...until she looked...ours was cleaner! Just cuz we were messy didn't mean we were nasty! Best of luck! It is usually best to talk...they may not even realize you are the one cleaning.

5. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    And if you keep doing it... they will just let you keep cleaning.

6. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Welcome to the world of roomates.

Been there, done that, ran screaming into the night. [​IMG]

7. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    kick them out and get two hens! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yeah well, you just KNOW that on some OTHER message board is something to the effect of:

"I get along well with my roommates in general, but SHEESH, this one girl keeps vacuuming and vacuuming, and wants us to leave our shoes off in the apartment, can you believe it? I told her that's not how we do it at home, we want to keep our feet warm and make our socks last longer, but she completely ignores my request to wear shoes. Then there's the issue with the hair! What is it with her! She's always wiping hair off of things. People shed hair. Cleaning once every week or two was fine for my mom and it's fine for me too. Seems like no one here understands that! Same with the stove and the counters. It drives me nuts! And she expects me to SHARE her obsession! What's up with that?"

LOL [​IMG]

Just wait til you get married. Just as bad (you may THINK you can find someone with no incompatible habits, but HAH) and much much less you can DO about it [​IMG]

(I do sympathize, I've had plenty of weird or nice-but-slightly-annoying-habits roommates over the years. But, you know, welcome to the world [​IMG])

Pat

9. FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Efland, NC
    Quote:Yeah, I have one or two friends that I was careful never to share an apartment with because I wanted to STAY friends. And once, when sharing a house with someone whose job was supposed to be washing to dishes, filled a garbage bag with dirty dishes and put it out on the carport so we could use the kitchen. They were still there when we moved out![​IMG] Hubby and I have had our issues but he was never THAT bad. Just hang in there and dream of when you'll have your own place!

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] lets trade places. You can come live here with my hubby and two kids, dog and cat inside! You'll LOVE IT. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by