1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Grrrr they are still cute when this little....

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by destiny_56085, Jun 16, 2011.

1. destiny_56085

destiny_56085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    This makes numbers 4 & 5 that have had to be disposed of in the last month or so. I'm pretty sure we got the parents in the last few weeks and now these babies come wandering out. They are soo little and dumb enough to walk right up to you yet. Luckily they don't spray at that age yet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    They are very cute. And no threat that I know of. Why 'dispose of'?
    JJ

3. They're becoming popular as pets... Though don't take them from the wild. I hear they're good pets..

They're really cute [​IMG]

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:yep, I couldn't/wouldn't do it [​IMG] maybe I'm just lucky but we have had them break in and go for eggs, but always left my birds alone.... my poor banties didn't know what to with themselves when a juvenile ripped the door off(stupid ware coop) and went in to eat the eggs, he went right past my birds [​IMG]
    I would be tempted to keep those babies and de-scent them....always wanted a skunk [​IMG]

5. destiny_56085

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    First of all they are a major carrier of rabies and other diseases. Secondly because they were eating whatever eggs they could get their grubby paws on. Lost count of how many peafowl, guinea, and muscovy nests they have ruined for me this year. Lastly because they stink. They leave a lovely essence wherever they hang out. If you or a dog/cat happens to stuble across them, be prepared to burn those clothes and lots of tomato juice baths.

6. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:Yep, do what you have to do to protect your birds/family. Cute when little, I agree, but still a predator/pest.

7. Moxiechick

Moxiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    No need to kill them. If you don't want them around, these would be easy enough to bring to a wildlife rehabilitator.

8. destiny_56085

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    These guys weren't in the wild... They were in my horse pens, in the goose barn, in the cow barn, in the machine shed..... If they would stay in the wild, I'd have no problem with them.

9. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Adorable little stinkers!!

I thought your comment luckly they don't spray at this age was interesting. I think you are mistaken.

When I was an older teen I went to our garden spot to get cabbage for supper and there was a mother skunk with her babies walking in a perfect row behind her, that is except for the last one and he was a bit out of line. I eased away and told my mother that unless she wanted skunk cabbage we'd better plan on something else. My younger brothers overheard the story of the skunks and decided they wanted to see for themselves. They went to the garden, the oldest threw his shirt over the straggler and they brought home the baby skunk, about the same age as the ones in your pics. No spraying, no stink and no fighting or biting. He just wrapped his tail around him and curled up in a ball peeking out periodically with adorable blue eyes.

My youngest brother decided wanted to catch one also (okay folks, I know the principals about not capturing wildlife but 50 yrs ago no one cared). My brothers went back and threw the youngest brothers shirt over the last little one in line. They came back without a skunk and the world would have been a better place if he had left his shirt behind. The baby skunk doused it good with "ode skunk". We kept the skunk for several months and it was an adorable pet. It never sprayed although once when I was in the yard playing with it the dog came around and got between me and the skunk. He turned his back to the dog, raised his tail and stamped his feet but nothing happened. We gave him away to someone who had raised skunk before and had it descented, unfortunately it found a hole in the pen and got away.

Thanks for bring back a memory.

10. destiny_56085

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    Quote:Sorry but I'm not turning them into someone else's future problem. They are as thick as coons up here....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by