Grrrrr…. Dickeys Incubator

FeatherTay

Crowing
Jun 28, 2020
Kansas
It’s day 20 for my eggs. I wanted them in the Dickeys hatcher on day 18, but I was always so worried about temp. The wafers are sooo hard to get it right!!! I have a cooper thermometer and acurite thermometer. They are both accurate. But I have no idea how to calibrate them, so the only reason I think they are accurate, is because 3 of my thermometers all matched 100 ° F including them at one point. So that’s the only reason I think they are fine. But I can’t think of another way to test it. It’s a thermometer sensor and I don’t have another one :( Is there a way to calibrate them? I’ve put them both in the same spot in the hatcher and now the cooper says 100.6 and the acurite says 102… help?

@Kiki

Next time make sure you buy at least one thermometer to calibrate so you can compare it to the other ones that you cannot calibrate.

At day 20 I would not stress about having an exact temperature.
I would stress about making sure it doesn't get too hot though.

If it were me I would make sure that it didn't get over a hundred.
98 would be fine for hatch day.

Next time make sure you buy at least one thermometer to calibrate so you can compare it to the other ones that you cannot calibrate.

At day 20 I would not stress about having an exact temperature.
I would stress about making sure it doesn't get too hot though.

If it were me I would make sure that it didn't get over a hundred.
98 would be fine for hatch day.
Ok! Thank you. I will try to get the acurite to say 100 at most. Thank you for the advice. is there a “cheaper” thermometer that you recommend.

Ok! Thank you. I will try to get the acurite to say 100 at most. Thank you for the advice. is there a “cheaper” thermometer that you recommend.
I really like these fish tank thermometers that somebody gave me.
Give me one second to Google to see if I can find them online.

I'm not sure if this is the exact one but they look exactly like this.

I highly recommend getting at least four.
I keep four to six thermometers in my incubator at all times so I can see the temperature in multiple places at one glance.

I find having multiple thermometers in there is much better than trying to move one single thermometer around.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HLJXDM...abc_4RMW088Z7E093Q6T6Q25?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not sure if this is the exact one but they look exactly like this.

I highly recommend getting at least four.
I keep four to six thermometers in my incubator at all times so I can see the temperature in multiple places at one glance.

I find having multiple thermometers in there is much better than trying to move one single thermometer around.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HLJXDM...abc_4RMW088Z7E093Q6T6Q25?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Wow! I like that price! Ordering now!

I tried a Dickey’s incubator and as I learned about it, I saw people mentioning not to stress about temperature fluctuations and varying temps within the unit. They said the hatch would be fine anyway. Many hatches were excellent according to reviews but mine were not. I never figured out why but the temp fluctuations and variations are normal for the Dickey’s. They are sensitive to external temperatures. A few pointers I learned:
1) You can’t get a stable temp throughout the unit. The bottom hatch tray will always be a couple degrees lower. The top tray will always be slightly warmer.
2) Move the unit at least a foot away from wall and open vents halfway unless you are in a dry area then have them almost closed for humidity.
3) After this hatch remove the back up wafer and calibrate the primary wafer to the Cooper. The temp will be different throughout the unit but you should focus on the Cooper at the door.
4) Keep it in an area that doesn’t get direct sun or get too warm.
Hope this helps
🙂

M
I tried a Dickey’s incubator and as I learned about it, I saw people mentioning not to stress about temperature fluctuations and varying temps within the unit. They said the hatch would be fine anyway. Many hatches were excellent according to reviews but mine were not. I never figured out why but the temp fluctuations and variations are normal for the Dickey’s. They are sensitive to external temperatures. A few pointers I learned:
1) You can’t get a stable temp throughout the unit. The bottom hatch tray will always be a couple degrees lower. The top tray will always be slightly warmer.
2) Move the unit at least a foot away from wall and open vents halfway unless you are in a dry area then have them almost closed for humidity.
3) After this hatch remove the back up wafer and calibrate the primary wafer to the Cooper. The temp will be different throughout the unit but you should focus on the Cooper at the door.
4) Keep it in an area that doesn’t get direct sun or get too warm.
Hope this helps
🙂
Meant to put ❤️. Thank you for the help! :)

Back
Top Bottom