GRRRRR.... 25 weeks and NO EGGS! Normal for Bantam Cochins?? *UPDATE!*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by arwmommy, Oct 26, 2007.

1. arwmommy

arwmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    California
    Well, the title says it all. We are on &*^%&&* week 25!! Is this really normal? None of the 3 are laying! I know there is occasionally one that may start laying later than the others......but all three and no eggs??? Help!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Yikes!!! My girls are telling your girls to get busy!!!

I have 3 Banty Mottled Cochins gals and they've been laying since 19 and a half weeks. They'll be 24 weeks old on Monday.

One of them even went total broody on us last weekend. I kept eggs collected several times a day and the silly thing decided she'd just hatch the golfballs. [​IMG] She's in chicken jail right now to break the broody since it's cooling off and I don't want to deal with a hatch this winter.

Go ahead and [​IMG] me..., I'll understand. [​IMG]

Dawn

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  3. arwmommy

Apr 13, 2007
    California
    Well, another week has gone by, (they are now 26 weeks!) and no eggs at all. At what point do we check to see if they really are monkeys instead of chickens?

Any ideas about if this is WAY out of the range of NORMAL or not???

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Depends on what kind of pullets you have...and if they are on a good layer pellet, crumble or mash...this time of year my hens slow down to almost nothing in egg production getting ready for the cool weather, plus daylight hours are not long enough now...I have 5 month old standard orps that have not started laying either...

5. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    I have wondered about this.

Most of my crew are 16 weeks which would put maybe Dec laying. Will they start laying as usual or will the winter time thing delay them until next year?

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hey, my Speckled Sussex girl is twenty-EIGHT weeks old and no eggs yet. My Buff Brahma didn't lay till she was 30 weeks old. Some just take longer than others. Cochins are one breed that I heard usually mature more slowly.

7. arwmommy

Apr 13, 2007
    California
    Thanks...........I will still be patient. My husband swears they are not really chickens!

As far as their feed, they are on a good organic layer pellet, and have oyster shell free choice. I noticed yesterday that they have eaten about 1/2 of the oyster shell that the container holds-- which I suppose is good news.

We will just have to wait it out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by