Grrrrr! Darn neighbors!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by TinyChickenLady, Oct 5, 2011.

1. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Let me first start off with some background info.
    I live with my parents. Our neighbors across the road are in their 50's. They have cows, chickens, cats and rabbits.
    One of my biggest pet peeves is seeing people buy an animal because it's cute or they want it but then doesn't take care of it.
    My neighbors have done this with all of their animals. They bought cows for meat but couldn't be bothered with building a secure fence so we've spent the last 2 years chasing cows (sometimes daily).
    They got chickens but again didn't build the fence right so the chickens free ranged and always came to my house so I could feed them (the neightbors seem to think free ranging is enough to feed them).
    They got rabbits and adopted a couple of orphans but didn't like the smell so they sent them outside to free range and reproduce.
    Their cats are cats. Enough said. Except that they wouldn't fix the cats so they got pregnant and wanted them all put down because they didn't want to care for them.
    The wife saw a flyer as TSC for a border collie a year ago. She claimed she didn't want it so she went home and told hubby that their Grandson wanted it. They bought it. Didn't train it or really care for it because she was hyper. They just tie her up out back all day and bring her in at night.
    Recently they decided to get rid of the dog. Wifey was going to take it to the shelter but she was hoping her guilt trip would work and we would do it for her. We didn't.
    She has tendency to rely on us to do everything for them.
    She seems to think since I'm 25 (but with more health problems than a 60 yr. old) that I should be out doing everything for them plus my own chores. She expects this from my father too (he works 2 jobs and works at home and helps me).
    So, she asked while they were away if my Dad would shoot the dog for them!!!!
    Are you very kidding me?! We don't even like shooting pests! Why in %&%# would we shoot your dog?! Grow up, take responsibility and take that poor dog to the pound!
    We said NO to shooting the dog. The other day I found out they asked to borrow our gun. I haven't heard the poor yapper bark for 2 days.....
    I would love to wring their necks!!
    Oh and while they were away, the wife (who seems to be the laziest mooching teenage adult I have ever met decided that sprinkling some crumble on the ground for her 10-12 full grown chickens was enough food to get them through 2 days.
    Grrrrrrr!!
    Okay I'm done.
    I don't mind comments but please don't accuse me of not doing anything or showing me your negativity because there is absolutely nothing I can do. Sorry.
    And thanks for letting me vent.

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

here's a [​IMG]

3. TinyChickenLady

[​IMG] Thank you FireTigeris. I think I really need some of those.

4. Theeggboxtoo

Theeggboxtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Alabama
    [​IMG] Sorry that you have crappy neighbors [​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Wow. [​IMG]

I am in my fifties and can't do too much because of a medical condition, but I CAN feed my flock and care for them. I CAN care for and love on my neutered male dogs and cat.

If I keep typing here, I'm gonna get upset and need to vent about your neighbors too. What useless excuses for self-sufficiency!

6. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    the first thing that came to my mind was ooh, all those poor animals...

then...poor you, that would drive me nuts (and bring out lots of negative terms)

then...oh so glad I bought 10 acres and my neighbors are too far away to annoy me!

at least they have neighbors like you who won't let them all starve...

7. TinyChickenLady

Quote:Exactly my point. I understand there are limitations (which they should've taken into account when getting these animals) but they are not invalids!
    Thank you for reading my mind and putting it into words for me [​IMG]

8. TinyChickenLady

Quote:Thank you as well. I try to do my best. I gave them instructions on how to feed them after they repenned them and I'm really hoping that they are at least trying but everytime I feed my chickens treats like bread or corn, I try to give it to their chickens too.
    Their poor chickens used to wait under my deck for me to get home from work so they could eat.
    [​IMG]

9. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Quote:I am in the same category. I am in pain all the time and still make sure that all the pets are fed. I can't stand for any animal or person to be hungry if I can't help it. Is there a animal welfare group that you can call and report the neighbor? ( like the Humane Society, or Animal Control.) They animal abusers in my opinion. [​IMG]

and for you [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. TinyChickenLady

Quote:I am in the same category. I am in pain all the time and still make sure that all the pets are fed. I can't stand for any animal or person to be hungry if I can't help it. Is there a animal welfare group that you can call and report the neighbor? ( like the Humane Society, or Animal Control.) They animal abusers in my opinion. [​IMG]

and for you [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

There isn't much around here that I know of. And sadly I don't think it would do any good. There isn't any proof anymore. They have recently fixed all the fences and have a bag of feed near the coop and the dog is "gone."
    Around this very small town, there is no one to turn to in these kinds of cases. We have a vet down the road that works on cows and he has stopped and said something to them about the cows so all the older nuisance ones have gone to slaughter and the 4 young ones are too small (and probably scared at this point) to do anything.
    They are trying now since I've given them some pointers. But this recent issue with the dog was my last straw. I can't help them anymore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by