Grrrrr, I am so mad, can I vent?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AKsmama, Nov 22, 2010.

1. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    My stupid cockerel Casper, the silver Lakenvelder, just snuck up behind me as I was bent over washing out the chicken waterer and flogged me [​IMG] No blood or scratches, as I really think he flapped hard against me more than anything else, but it did hurt a bit. Stupid little pea-brained *&%[email protected]#. I am battling a bad headache and that was all I needed to send my blood pressure higher. I chased him, kicked at him (missed), and finally connected with a big stick, but that's all I have the energy to do right now. Casper is going to have to learn that being handsome does not give him a reprieve from the crockpot. I have 4 other boys who don't try to challenge me. Yet. At this point I am ready to throw in the towel on this whole chicken deal- 31 pullets who aren't paying us back in eggs and idiotic roos who want to be buttheads. Please tell me I am not the only one who has gotten to the point where I have HAD it.

Thanks for letting me vent.

2. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    Needing to vent is normal and luckily there are some great listeners around here.

I have a 30 some odd week old silkie who just decided to turn into a roo and let me tell you he is a little S**t other day he jumped and kicked at me and nipped me I tucked his big boy bunz under my arm he squabbled the whole time. Taught him not to do that again or id kick him across the yard.

I have 2 hens who went into molt and stopped laying I was able to up their protein so they would lay again.

As for pullets...i have one who goes in the nest box ALL the time...been squatting for weeks now but...no eggs its like [​IMG] I'd up the protein and see if that helps a bit especially with the later birds seems like they get to point of lay then go into molt. As for the roo show him your boss.

Go luck!

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Get you a big old broom and take it to him. Every time he slows down give him a good swat with the bushy end. Don't let him stop, don't let him rest, just keep making him move. Do this every time you see him until he avoids you when ever you approach. MOST of the time this is enough. There are the occasional birds that won't learn though. Those you eat.

4. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG] We just ate a wonderful stew made from a roo who thought he was "the Boss"... NOT!!! My EE roo that has been a sweetie most of the time decided to try to jump at me about 3 days ago. I chased him around the run with my walking stick, bumping his butt along whenever he stopped. He now moves to the farthest point away from me when I enter the arena... LOL.

YES, it's good to vent and it's also good to swat their behinds and make them KNOW WHO"S BOSS!!! Don't let him get away with it. Good Luck!!! [​IMG]

5. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I agree with the other methods posted, you HAVE to make him realize that YOU are the boss, not him. If he still doesnt get the message then invite him for dinner [​IMG]

6. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Now, this might seem a bit 'chicken whisperer' but remember, every time you use your foot or leg on a rooster, you are engaging him on his level. he attacks with his legs, you attack back with yours, the cycle escalates.

Carry a dollar store net with you, or a bass fishing net, when the little $%*& hits you or comes at you, CATCH HIM, quick. then carry him around until he gives up, total capitulation. Then love on him for a bit, and go get a treat before you put him down, then set him down, in sight of his girls, and try to give him a treat.

If you are the bringer of the goodies, and he learns that getting too close to you means embarassing time in your arms, he will never get that close to you again, and will try instead to get the treats.

I have over 20 roosters running around with my girls, and I have only been attacked once, and that was by a rooster that was abandoned at our place the day before. Once he was here for a bit, he settled down, and now he is just one of the pack!

Never use your foot or legs on a Roo. They just see that as a declaration of war!

Sorry about your headache, nothing worse than being startled or frustrated when your head hurts!

Good Luck!

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I know a raging headache makes everything worse but.... I think you're letting it bother you too much.
    Sorry [​IMG]
    I've had the good fortune to have wonderful roos - I know they aren't all that way but I don't believe hurting them is the answer.
    Hope your headache is getting better.
    JJ

8. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the kind words and advice, I appreciate it. Yes, the headache does tend to magnify the bad things. I didn't hurt him, but I did scare him good. He ran far away every time I walked anywhere in his vicinity after that. I just did not have the energy or the will to try to catch him. . . we need a catch net. It just really made me mad that he snuck up on me, ya know? He's not the head roo anymore, our biggest EE has most definitely taken over that role in the last couple of weeks. Maybe Casper is mad that Hannibal the EE is successfully mating now and he's not getting any [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  9. 7&8

7&8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    Quote:Nice post, thank you!

10. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    Quote:With my luck I would train the Roo to run at me for a treat!!!Just saying......thats MY luck. bad behavoir, then a treat. I will try all these things I'm sure. Was working with an animal behavourist for awhile.....nerver treats unless its for good things.....but this IS a chicken. I do have a big koi net I thought would be good to capture a raging roo. It has a flat bottom and is about 2' around and deep. Very sturdy for a 20 pound fish. I think that would do it.
    ANY other ideas are great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by