1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

GRRRRR! What this chick just did!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Jun 16, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Doe's chicks are now six weeks old. Still don't know what breed they are, but I'm not going to stress about it.

I was just out in the coop and see one of these UFC (unidentified flying chicks) sitting in the windowsill, roughly 5 ft. high, so of course I rush right over.....

"Oh you poor baby! How'd you get up there? Let Mama help you down before you get hurt!"

The little booger flew over my head, across the coop and landed smoothly on a roost. [​IMG]

My doctor has said I must reduce all the stress from my life. Yeah doc, soon as I get rid of these chickens I'll get right on that. [​IMG]

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Sure it wasn't a dove? [​IMG]

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    [​IMG] Don't you just love chickens? Haha! [​IMG]

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    sunny & the 5 egg layers :

[​IMG] Don't you just love chickens? Haha! [​IMG]

Depends on what kind of day it's been. [​IMG]

5. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I can totally sympathize my chickens made it to the roof of the coop last night with me pulling my hair out so my son and I clipped everyones wings and this evening I go to put everyone in and the roo is hollering because Amber is back on the gate of the fence again. It's a 5 ft high gate. If they can fly that high when their wings are clipped I can't imagine how high they have been getting without them being clipped. They are 8 weeks on Tuesday. Hopefully once they weigh more they won't fly to the moon anymore.

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Only my younger birds - mostly standards, some bantams - can fly. My older flock of brahmas don't; too dang big. I'm sure they could get some altitude if threatened. Then again, maybe not. They're the fat girls.

7. Kitt

Kitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Texas
    I clipped the chicks wings and they can still fly. I have an OEG roo that has his wing clipped and still makes it 13 ft up into the tree. I just give up on those things. Sometimes. I really think mine are out to drive me insane.

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Trust me, they are. [​IMG]

9. Kitt

Kitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Texas
    Quote:Trust me, they are. [​IMG]

Well in that case if you don't hear from me for a week please come to my pens and look for me. I'll be there in the corner drooling and eating crayons. IF the chicks don't steal them. [​IMG]

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by