GRRRRRR! Hawk killed #3!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by stephhassler, Sep 17, 2009.

1. stephhassler

stephhassler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Eastern Iowa
    Stupid, rotten, dang hawk. Kill #3 was a black polish cockerel. Heard the "we're scared" skwaking (sp?) today and ran outside - of course everyone was hiding but the hawk was no where to be seen. I searched and searched, finally gave up thinking I misinterpreted their skwaking. This evening my son and I were walking through the tall grass in the field and found the body. I can only assume when I was looking for the hawk he was hiding with the body in the tall grass. My dog would chase and/or kill the dog if I left him outside but he would also chase and kill the chickens. That hawk has got to go!

2. clhbubba

clhbubba Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Oklahoma
    I am sorry for your losses.
    We have lost 2 call ducks in the past couple of days to a hawk. I heard the guineas calling their alarm this afternoon and ran out to find it swooping down on the chickens. Had one of my polish game chickens in it's sight. I managed to scare it off. Tonight we are short our second call duck, the first was 2 days ago. Frustrating. We close our birds up at night but their sheds are too small to keep them in 24/7. They free range on a fenced acre. I don't know how to protect them on an acre.
    I wish you luck.

3. stephhassler

stephhassler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Eastern Iowa
    I have the same problem - coop too small to keep everyone in during the day. I may make them stay in today though, I have be out of town all day and don't want to come home to another dead chicken. I'm going to look for a couple of those plastic owls today. maybe that will help.

4. Gingersnap6

Gingersnap6 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    Seven Valleys, PA
    We put orange plastic snow fence across the top of our chicken fence because we have trouble with hawks too. It has helped so far.

Bethany

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by