GRRRRRRRR ! Guineas and uncooperative neighbors !

cheepchicks

Songster
12 Years
May 6, 2007
Indiana
My Guineas keep going next door and getting into the neighbors garden. Problem isn't that they are eating seeds they are dust bathing ! I can't fence it off because the stupid neighbors have an easement to use the driveway and they won't keep a gate closed....besides guineas fly and I hate to keep them cooped up 24/7. I need to find out about keep free range birds in the county here! or does anyone have any ideas ?

Kim

I *think* chickens and guinea may be covered under free range laws. Really if your neighbors aren't willing to keep the gate closed, well that's their problem.
hmm.png
IMO your neighbors shouldn't complain if they aren't willing to keep the gate closed and maybe you should inform them that your Guineas are eating all the nasty little bug that would otherwise be destroying their plants and as an added bonus, guineas don't dig like chickens so. My chickens love tearing up my garden.

Of course I'm a bit sour on neighbors. Mine called animal control on us a few years back because our goat was STANDING in their yard....their house is a 50ft walk to ours, and the only reason the goats were over there was because their brat children were feeding them without permission. :mad They got heck from me one day though when I came across one of their kids standing in my 5 strand electric fence harassing my Miniature stud horse, the kid is lucky he's alive, that little horse was very territorial! He may have been little but he knocked my DH on his bum a few times, he was a sweety with me though.

I have seen threads about local ordinances but can't find them now. I told them about the Guineas not eating the plants but of course they insist they are not only eating the plants but digging them up as well.

As to neighbors children....people really should keep a closer eye on them.

I was out this spring doing some ground work with my 3yo filly. She spooked and ran right over the top of me. The end result...I had 3 injuries that nearly killed me and I had to give up all my horses.

BTW the stupid neighbors let their chickens free range...and I bet those are what is tearing up their garden.

Even if they have an easement to use the driveway, I would assume that they still have to secure a fence if one of the landowners has livestock. Maybe I shouldn't assume that - I come from a farming state where it is second nature to close any gate behind you that you have opened. Where are you?
As an effort at peacekeeping - could you offer to fence off their garden for them? It would be an expense for you, but if it makes the neighbors stop bugging you...

Some states have their laws posted on a website.

Maybe you could lure them back with a favorite treat when they leave and create the world's best dusting site on your property- one with mirrors and other things they like.

Give the neighbors info on lyme disease and how guineas love to eat ticks.

The chickens are the ones tearing up the garden and eating the greens.

We have a big 1 1/2yr old filly that needs ground work - I hope you recovered well.

Good luck!

I offered the fence but they say no because it would have to be netted and they need to weed their garden. Oh well I will keep searching for the laws in Indiana regulating free range poultry.

I am much better but still on the mend.

Thanks for listening.

Kim

Quote:
It most likely is their chickens destroying their garden. I've never heard of Guineas eating plants or digging. But I have definitely witnessed my chickens doing both.
hmm.png

Sorry to hear about your accident. You must have had a tough time, having to deal with that AND to have to give up your horses as well.
sad.png
I sold mine after my daughter was born. They weren't getting the attention they needed and I certianly can't afford to board them, and my DH is useless when it comes to helping with them. Of course he didn't mind riding them.
roll.png

While I love for my hens to free-range, it is MY responsibility to keep them on my property!! I have to side with your neighbors in this case. Easement or no easement, gate or no gate...it is not their responsibility to keep a gate closed to keep YOUR guineas out of THEIR garden.

you know, its entirely possible that a fence without any netting might keep the guineas out. we fenced in both the garden and our chicken yard with 4 ft wire and the guineas have YET to figure out how to get in to either. I do love my guineas but they are not in danger of winning a Nobel prize anytime soon.

Back
Top Bottom