Grubs in chicken poop

Marcy74

Chirping
Jan 18, 2020
So might sound like a weird question. I'm composting chicken poop for fertilizer. This year is filled with big grubs, they are the same kind I feed them from my vegetable compost. Any thoughts on feeding them chicken poop grubs. Just sounds kind of weird giving them as a snack

So might sound like a weird question. I'm composting chicken poop for fertilizer. This year is filled with big grubs, they are the same kind I feed them from my vegetable compost. Any thoughts on feeding them chicken poop grubs. Just sounds kind of weird giving them as a snack

Attachments

• 20200910_155715.jpg
    20200910_155715.jpg
    467.9 KB · Views: 15
Not a very clear pic, but they look like black soldier fly grubs to me - if so, they're fantastic composters! There are industrial scale BSF composting facilities being used all around the globe nowadays, to consume different organic waste streams to make compost and animal feed (grubs).

I'm not a biologist, but I believe due to possibility of disease transmission - that you don't want to raise the BSF on the waste from the same genus of animals you plan to feed the grubs to. This is why I raise my BSF on kitchen scraps instead of chicken poop, since the grubs are for the chickens - and they go CRAZY for the grubs, like fighting one another to get them when I dump them out. If I was not feeding the grubs to my chickens, or if I had carnivorous fish/reptiles/etc then I'd for sure be raising the BSF on chicken poop.

Good luck!

My chix love bsf during the colder months when they’re unable to forage for bugs.
That's my idea, I planned on freezing them for winter, just don't want to make them sick from eating chicken poop grubs

Back
Top Bottom