Gruesomes sister,Twosome passed away today.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gmendoza, Sep 22, 2010.

1. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    The second hen that I incubated in February died sometime last night or this morning.I'm going to miss her.

[​IMG]
    Gruesome and Twosome.Twosome is the one on the left ( about a week old in Feb this year).

[​IMG]
    Gruesome and Twosome about a month ago.Twosome is the lower hen.

My wife went to release the chickens from the run this morning and saw her under the roost in a ball with her head tucked in like she was asleep.She went in and said" Twosome time to wake up".But she was already rigor.

Dont know what happened,she was just fine and dandy went they went into the run for the night.Might have been stung by the hornets around here. Sad though.I will inspect the run and coop with a fine tooth comb to see if any unwanteds are lurking around.

2. midd2005

midd2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Oahu
    i'm sorry. i hope gruesome isn't too lonely.

3. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    So Sorry, hope Twosome isn't left alone to mourn.
    I had one of my pairs lose a member at night, all I can figure is she startled in her sleep and flew into the coop wall. I can't think of a way to align the roosts so that the top bar isn't near the wall, and of course they sleep facing the wall.

4. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Quote:Funny thing about that,Twosome used to be surrogate mom to our four guinea keets. So since she died,Gruesome took over so Gruesome isnt lonly,she is busy!The keets even follow her into the nesting box and squeeze next to her when she lays her eggs.The keets are 4 months old,and gruesome clucks for them.

We have more hens and roos to keep gruesome happy and content.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  5. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Is it possible she was eggbound? One of my dominiques died in the morning...was fine the day before. I went to let them out, and she just laid there. I went to nudge her out, and she wouldn't budge. I ran in to have my husband get a syringe and oil, and ran back out to pick her up...she closed her eyes and was gone. She was clucking and trying to find the "perfect" nest the day before...so I am leaning towards her being egg bound. She was 6 months at the time...and I'm pretty sure it was her first egg.

I'm glad your other one isn't left lonely.

6. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    that is te exact age that Mareks will strike, do you know if they were vaccinated? are any other chickens showing any signs of Mareks? Not saying it is just that it would be a consideration of mine with the age your girls were when they passed.

7. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    It didn't sound as if there were any signs of Marek's. Sudden death can be due to many causes. When my first set of birds was very young, one of my RIR's developed some symptoms that I was uncertain about. I talked to a self-proclaimed "chicken expert" at our farmer's market. She is big in 4-H and has a variety of poultry. Her immediate comment was that it was probably Marek's, and that I would need to cull the bird immediately, and might as well cull my whole little flock. She also said that I probably shouldn't have any other birds for awhile after in case it lingered. Luckily I didn't follow her advice. I spoke with someone else, for a second opinion, got some good advice as to what I could try, cured my bird, no-one else developed any symptoms, and it's a year and a half later, and she is one of my two best layers. I only say one of the two best as I can't really tell which one I treated. They look exactly alike except one has a slightly smaller comb than the other.
    My point is, people sometimes suggest Marek's immediately when there is a health issue with a bird. It is only one of many diseases that could be the culprit, and it is most likely a death sentence for the bird, so, a bit panic-inducing when it doesn't necessarily need to be.

8. chicknerd

chicknerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    NH
    I am very sorry about your loss. I lost my cockerel a few weeks ago the same way. He was curled in a ball in the nest. No signs of anything wrong. And I was just getting used to having a surprise rooster.

[​IMG]

Quote:

9. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Dora'smom :

It didn't sound as if there were any signs of Marek's. Sudden death can be due to many causes. When my first set of birds was very young, one of my RIR's developed some symptoms that I was uncertain about. I talked to a self-proclaimed "chicken expert" at our farmer's market. She is big in 4-H and has a variety of poultry. Her immediate comment was that it was probably Marek's, and that I would need to cull the bird immediately, and might as well cull my whole little flock. She also said that I probably shouldn't have any other birds for awhile after in case it lingered. Luckily I didn't follow her advice. I spoke with someone else, for a second opinion, got some good advice as to what I could try, cured my bird, no-one else developed any symptoms, and it's a year and a half later, and she is one of my two best layers. I only say one of the two best as I can't really tell which one I treated. They look exactly alike except one has a slightly smaller comb than the other.
    My point is, people sometimes suggest Marek's immediately when there is a health issue with a bird. It is only one of many diseases that could be the culprit, and it is most likely a death sentence for the bird, so, a bit panic-inducing when it doesn't necessarily need to be.

I dont think mareks is a death sentence just something to consider if birds start dying at that age thats all.​

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

She looks like she had a form of dwarfism. Some birds with forms of that don't live very long. The type that shortens their lives isn't just being small, it entails crooked toes, parrot beaks, weird feathering, etc. In males, it is most obvious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by