Grumble, grumble,...Darn wind!!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Pumpkinpup, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I don't know how it is where you are but this freaky weather is about to drive me nuts! It's freezing cold one day, in the 60's and 70's the next, pouring rain for days at a time then a muddy mucky mess! Today the wind is almost unbearable!
    MAKE IT STOPPPPPPP!!!!!!!
    I have been sick since the onset of winter and my poor birds don't know what to do! It's awful!

2. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    I know what you mean but the Lord has it all under control.

It does get aggravating, I know. You have to go out and feed and water and this morning my daughter and I had to go nail down some tin before it blew away. There was debre ? and dust flying everywhere. [​IMG]

I bet the winds here are in excess of 30 mph if not stronger. I am ready for it to snow now. We have seen all the other elements here except some snow that accumulated to anything.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  3. FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Efland, NC
    The wind is howling like crazy here too. I'm really hoping it dies down after dark tonight because we want to have a BIG New Year's Eve bonfire and there will be no bonfire with this kind of wind. OTOH--at least it's drying the pasture out and the mud is only ankle deep in a couple of places now!

Erika

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Thanks for the warning, we usually get your weather the next day! It's already blowing here, small craft warnings are up. Down to about 25 tonight, I'll be having a fire in the fireplace.

I know how you feel about the constantly changing weather we've been having- makes me crazy- or crazier than usual. I don't like the short days and long nights either!

You might look at some ideas for entertaining your chickens. I have a wire suet feeder, so I hang it just above their height and they amuse themselves all day. They get a little workout, too, hopping to get to it. I make the suet from free beef fat the butcher gives me, so it's a low cost way to keep them happy!

Hope you feel better soon! [​IMG]

5. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Just saw here that the top wind here has been 47 mph. [​IMG] Hold on tight birdies.

6. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    I live in south west Ga and I agree this has been a crazy winter. There arent any winds here and its actually a pretty day. But who knows what tommorow will be like. I am more than ready for spring!

7. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:Yep it is Hurricane Wind like over here, and my 2 sweet adorable 2 year old mares decided to tear the fence down with their stupid goofiness because of the windy weather. So now on top of everything else, I have to replace several fence posts and a whole side of fence. [​IMG]

8. cottagegarden

cottagegarden Eggistentialist

Oct 2, 2008
    SE PA
    Quote:Yep it is Hurricane Wind like over here, and my 2 sweet adorable 2 year old mares decided to tear the fence down with their stupid goofiness because of the windy weather. So now on top of everything else, I have to replace several fence posts and a whole side of fence. [​IMG]

We have 50mph winds today where we are in Pa. I was fretting about the chickens
    when I saw our electric line to the barn and another outbuilding is ripped down, but not broken.
    Its across DH, car and in the horse pasture so fortunately we got them back in the stalls before they decided that was something to play with!! Glad yours didnt get hurt and sorry they made a new project when it would be nice to relax a little.

9. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Yeah its INSANE the winds here today too... wasn't it 70 yesterday? Oh yeah, and perfect everything the day before too! Now its Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

You all are a bunch of wind rookies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by