Grumpy and sitting in coup

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cluckins, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Cluckins

Cluckins New Egg

Jun 12, 2011
    I've been away for 4 days with a neighbour looking after my 2 hens.

She informed me my bantum cross has hardly been out the coup. She had been spendng more time in there before I went away too.

Checking today, I opened the coup lid and she was sitting in the nest box, ruffled her feathers and squaked at me aggressively. She hasn't been seen out of the coup all day so far.

My other hen seems fine and spritley.

Any advice?

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    It sounds like she may be broody.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Yep, she's gone broody. Put some fertile eggs under her and in 21 days you'll have new chicks (hopefully.)

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] Gotta love a grumpy broody hen...

5. Cluckins

Cluckins New Egg

Jun 12, 2011
    I did wonder... [​IMG]

She is less than a year old. As I don't want chicks, would a rubber egg make any difference? Anything I can do to get her active again?

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Pull her off the nest and put her in a cage for 4-7 days to break her. Make sure she has feed and water. I've broke broodies this way and it works. I had one stubborn BR that almost took 2 weeks to break, she finally gave up.

7. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

lol ya she is broody [​IMG]

I love when they get snarky like that [​IMG] Mine love to go broody on me...if I had a fertile flock I would be all YAY but its just for eggs so I end up going... DOH!!!

I love the velociraptor roar they do on the nest when they fluff up and start growling/barking/snarling lol I think I insult them cos all I can do is laugh at them and throw them off the nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by