grumpy chickens? pecking order?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Barnmaradotte, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Barnmaradotte

Barnmaradotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    eugene
    So this morning I removed a hen from my flock, and this afternoon when I got home one of my hens is missing her longer tailfeathers. my first thought was, who's been messing with my girls? Then I noticed all 14 of them have light feather damage all being on their backs in front of the tail. Watched for a bit and it seems several are pecking the whole bunch. They even pecked me! The smallest hen is borderline being a &!+@#. All these hens have been together since day 1, and are 16 - 17 weeks old. My guess is they are trying to redo the pecking order? do I need to remove the meanie? Any tips or input would be great being that im new to chickens.

2. Barnmaradotte

Barnmaradotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    eugene
    nothing? am I just to impatient? input would be nice. thanks

3. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    If the damage gets too severe, I would move the meanie. But I would try to give it a few days to see if they sort it out on their own. They are "teens" after all, maybe it's hormonal! [​IMG] Since they are coming into their own, and their sizes and personalities are coming out, they are probably just trying to figure out pecking order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by