Grumpy Hubby

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by luvmycritters42, Aug 16, 2010.

1. luvmycritters42

luvmycritters42 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2009
    Western WA
    We started our chicken experience last Spring with 5 hens and 2 Roos. This Spring we were down to 2 hens and 1 Roo (due to predators and Sudden unexplained dead chicken syndrome). So when one of my hens went broody this Spring I let her hatch 6 eggs...........5 of which have turned into Roos. We also got 3 Silkies from the neighbor....2 of which have turned into Roos. Then BOTH the hens went broody last month and they have just hatched out another 6 chicks (they're so cute) .................So, 2 hens, 2 pullets, 6 - 1 week old chicks, 8 Roosters and the reason my hubby is grumpy.......NO EGGS!!!! [​IMG]

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Okay the roos can go to auction, and while you are at the auction pick up some girls that are old enough to lay. I would even meet at the auction if I know when you are coming.

3. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    uh oh hehe

4. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    You just have to be careful that you don't keep bring home roos like my SiL does every weekend. [​IMG]

5. luvmycritters42

Sep 28, 2009
    Western WA
    LOL, right..we don't need any more Roos. I have homes for 2 of them and once the folks decide which ones they want then the rest will be heading to auction........or the freezer if I get brave enough to do the deed.

Where do you go for auction justbugged? We are in the Olympia area and I know there's a poultry exchange thing in Centralia/ Chehalis.

6. olliecatch

olliecatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    Olympia, Washington
    Hi I live in Olympia to. Ive been thinking about going down to centralia for that auction/swap meet. Are there any others? Ive hatched out some eggs this year and I have quite a few roosters that I want to get rid of. Plus I want to get some Marans so i can have some dark eggs. We are never happy with what we have. [​IMG]

7. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    I live in Yelm and I have some EE roos to get rid of. I've heard that the Chehalis auction is the place to take them, but I've never been myself. I might have to go down and check it out. I'm not sure I can stand having 7 roos in a horse stall until they're big enough to eat (and I couldn't do "the deed" anyway).

UPDATE: Chehalis Livestock Auction does not auction poultry. However, the Chehalis Agricultural Market (at the old Yard Birds Shopping Center) does. They hold their auctions on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of every month. Here is the link to their auction page: http://www.chehalismarket.com/poultry-auction.php

You
    can auction or direct sell. I think I'll have to go down there and see what they have...the next sale will be next Saturday. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  8. luvmycritters42

Sep 28, 2009
    Western WA
    You're right Olliecatch, we're never happy with what we have......I want those dark eggs too [​IMG] I think there is another auction place in Oakville that is once a month. But I've heard better things about the Chehalis one.

9. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    Quote:Hey olliecatch -- I have a White Marans roo (8 weeks old) and a Splash Marans roo (4 weeks old) that I need to find homes for. I am keeping a Black Copper Marans roo and Blue Marans roo. I will also be keeping my BCM, Splash Marans, Blue Marans, and Silver Cuckoo Marans pullets. I'm going to cross the Marans roos on all my hens, and I'm wanting to sell some Marans eggs when I get them. The Silver Cuckoo is hatchery stock (and a real sweetie) and should start laying in a month or so. All of the others came from a breeder in Gig Harbor and are from the Wade Jeane line. Let me know if you're interested. You could get the roos and some eggs and start producing your own Marans. The eggs are incredible. Here are the ones I got from Gig Harbor:
    [​IMG]

10. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Lol,we have eggs from 3 hens but my dh still gets grumpy when I head to the feed store with my credit card.Dh has his electronic gadget expenses,and mine now is the cihckens.

That IS a lot of roosters.Does it get very noisy? I think I only have one, that started growing at 9 weeks old,and he is such a loud mouth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by