rocky222

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2015
I had two hens that I raised from chicks. To be honest, they were a little spoiled - neither of them really knew they were hens, they were part of the family. Sadly, one of them died last year at the age of 2. I know how socialble chickens are, so we didn't want one lonelt hen. We bought 2 hens at PoL and followed all the guidance for introducing new hens to the flock. It was clear from the start that the older hen was going to be the more dominant. But she took an instant dislike to one of the new girls and no matter what we do, she goes for her. There have been several nasty blood injuries. She is more tolerant of the other one, but has even given her a nasty nip or two. We have had to buy a new coop for the older girl because she just gets so grumpy with the other two. It has been a whole year now and we are still no closer to having a flock of three - they have to take it in turns to free range unless I am out there on guard duty. The one that is picked on is so nervous whenever the older one is out. It is awful because I love all three of them and I want them to get on with each other. Any tips or suggestions?

Also, the hen that is being picked on is a different breed / colour from the other two. Do you think that could be part of the reason that she is targetted? Are chickens 'racist'?

It could be the colour....I had RIR in my flock a few years ago...They attacked all the other non red birds....I got rid of the Reds....Also, introducing other Birds sometimes never works out...Two flocks form and never become one...The single Hen is her own flock...The other two are another flock...Is she attacking the weaker Bird?

If you have been at this a year, it is not going to change. You really have a couple of choices, but doing nothing is not the one I would pick. I try and solve for the flock. So pull the bully. Do the other two get along well? Try pulling the victim? Do the remaining two get along well? Thing is, one of the birds needs to go, which one is up to you.

The above advice is based on my understanding that you do not want a lot more chickens. You could add a bunch of new chickens, and then sometimes the older ones will band together against the younger ones.

Really, I am wondering if your particular set up, just works better with two birds, rather than three. I know people feel guilty when they cull birds by getting rid of one, but really keeping birds in a high state of tension is no fun, and not good for them either.

It could be the colour....I had RIR in my flock a few years ago...They attacked all the other non red birds....I got rid of the Reds....Also, introducing other Birds sometimes never works out...Two flocks form and never become one...The single Hen is her own flock...The other two are another flock...Is she attacking the weaker Bird?
If anything, she is attacking the stronger bird. I think it probably is a colour thing.

If you have been at this a year, it is not going to change. You really have a couple of choices, but doing nothing is not the one I would pick. I try and solve for the flock. So pull the bully. Do the other two get along well? Try pulling the victim? Do the remaining two get along well? Thing is, one of the birds needs to go, which one is up to you.

The above advice is based on my understanding that you do not want a lot more chickens. You could add a bunch of new chickens, and then sometimes the older ones will band together against the younger ones.

Really, I am wondering if your particular set up, just works better with two birds, rather than three. I know people feel guilty when they cull birds by getting rid of one, but really keeping birds in a high state of tension is no fun, and not good for them either.

I do have two completely separate runs and coops for them. The only time they are together is when I let them all free rage at the same time - which is what I would like to do. But I agree, after a year of trying, I don't think I am going to get that.
I couldn't cull any of them - I am far too soppy for that, but I might have to think about finding a new home for somebody.

Laying hens are easy to get a home for, roosters are not.

The "bully" is the older one and she is the most reliable layer I have ever heard of. She stopped for a couple of weeks last year when she went through a moult, other than that there have probably been 3 days in three years when she hasn't laid an egg. The other two are so haphazard and unreliable it's untrue! One still hasn't worked out that she needs to stay in the nest box until she has finished laying. Probably one egg in five is deposited somewhere in the garden - often by the back door!
So I either get rid of the one who lays eggs, or the two younger ones who are rubbish egg layers - then I'm left with just one hen again!

I have a Hen also I would love to get rid of...I only keep her because she is here and I worry about her well being if she were to go....

I think I love my three girls too much to send them off elsewhere. I spend a lot of time chatting to them, they wouldn't get the same sort of love and care elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom