GSD pic heavy

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by lorieMN, Sep 23, 2010.

1. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] here are some pics from tuesday at the trainers,the black/red is my boy Ace,and the sable is Harley,she is just starting her protection training

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Very nice [​IMG]

3. lorieMN

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    thanks,,just wish the trainer was closer so I could get there more often.

4. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Great idea for a thread for us GSD fans
    NICE DOGS!!

Been a few years since I took mine to training here in Indy. Last time out, my female barked non stop for 7 mins till Mike, our trainer gave her a grip. On the sidelines Mike 2nd incharge (Nate) was grinning ear to ear to see such a gung ho GSD wanting her grip. I LOVE IT and so do my babies!

lorieMN go out and give your babies a grip for us here in INDY.

[​IMG]
    Biggest mouth in our club. He blows out my ear drums when he barks in the truck.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  5. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    Beautiful dogs! German Shepherds are most certainly not couch potato house dogs. My mother INSISTED on buying a AKC GSD pup. Never trained it. Had nothing but house breaking problems, chewing, jumping, fence-leaping (poor thing was bored, I was too young to train)...gave her to some people who's sons GS just died, he put some training into her and she turned out amazing. All those problems, poof.

Beautiful, amazing, loyal dogs...but you gotta train them! [​IMG]

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I can understand that. There is not a trainer anywhere around us, none. We've muddled along and fortunately the intelligence of the GSD has worked in our favor. The boys have been a breeze to train. Of course we had no reason to have them professionally protection trained. For that, we relied on one piece of advice given to us by the breeder. Treat each dog as your very best friend and the protection part comes naturally. The dogs protect us because they love us. Both dogs have a sense that I am disabled and require extra vigilance.
    I need to get some new pics of Kane. OMG! What a monster-sized dog that tiny, weeny pup I picked out has turned into.

7. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Here we have a great club. A guy (Gabor, don;t even ask me how to spell his last name) from Tennessee came up weekly for months to train here in Indy. He is on the Hungarian National Schutzhund team. Very old school type of trainer. On the dumb bell exercise, he said, he used a live chicken to reward his dog for the retrieve on dumbbells. He would press the live chicken against his groin, and ONLY when his dog was in perfect position he released the bird. Brutal way to train, for the chicken, very effective & quick results.

8. lorieMN

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    Quote:I can understand that. There is not a trainer anywhere around us, none. We've muddled along and fortunately the intelligence of the GSD has worked in our favor. The boys have been a breeze to train. Of course we had no reason to have them professionally protection trained. For that, we relied on one piece of advice given to us by the breeder. Treat each dog as your very best friend and the protection part comes naturally. The dogs protect us because they love us. Both dogs have a sense that I am disabled and require extra vigilance.
    I need to get some new pics of Kane. OMG! What a monster-sized dog that tiny, weeny pup I picked out has turned into.

I dont NEED them professionally trained either,,but it is fun and addicting !! I am thinking of leaving the sable with him for a while to go for her ScHh titles,,we will see,I would love to do it myself,but he is the best trainer near me,that actually knows what he is doing and puts his money where his mouth is,and he is 3 hours one way,so I cant be doing that everyday,so the next best thing is to pay him to train for me.

9. lorieMN

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    Quote:thanks lildenkem..are those pups you have now?..very nice...I probably wont use live chickens as I try to keep them alive,but I can see his reasoning for it,tho crude,it would be effective.

10. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    Gabor is awesome! I have seen on another site some of the dogs he has trained and titled in Europe. Really amazing stuff. [​IMG]
    We stopped training when we came to the states. [​IMG] I miss it so much but it is outrageous the prices they want here vs what we were paying in Germany. I can't handle the prices or the hour and a half drive.
    We thought about sending out one of our dogs, but then what is the point as it takes out all the fun for us to do the work. We aren't that serious about it since we just wanted a different way to bond with out dogs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by