GSP breed development

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sourland, Aug 14, 2011.

1. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I was told by the son of a German immigrant (my surgeon) that the original GSP was an 'all purpose' dog. He said that his grandfather was a breeder and that the original dogs were farm, family/guard, and general hunting dogs - used for the hunting of mammals in addition to birds. He also mentioned that they were used as 'blood scent' trailing dogs for the tracking of wounded boars and stags. Any GSP breeders on board?, and is this fact or fiction?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I think they are beautiful dogs Mr. Sour. Sorry I don't know a thing about them.

3. ajablu

ajablu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northeast, PA
    We breed German Shorthaired Pointers. They are very versatile and can do much more than hunt birds. The degree of versatility might depend on bloodlines to some extent. The original German dogs were bred to be much more versatile than an average bird dog but not all show those traits anymore. In this country many people say some lines had alot of English Pointer mixed in. That changes some things. Several of ours will hunt small game. They are good at predator control. Some of them make great watchdogs, but I wouldn't think they are aggressive enought to actually attack someone . I have seen some that were kind of sharp tempered and would probably bite or even attack. We breed for a milder disposition. I don't want them sharp tempered. They will trail wounded game. They are great family dogs if well bred.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Thanks, this affirms much of what I was told by the son/grandson of German breeders. He too said that as 'guard/watch' dogs their primary purpose was to alert the household. Thanks for responding. Sourland George

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by